Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX not sending out any MIDI from pedals over USB

d0stenning

i've been trying to get the Loopy HD working with HELIX over USB - as per that cool CustomTone patch - but the problem is that neither my iPad 2 ( over camera kit ) or my iMac - using MIDI snooper apps etc can see ANYTHING MIDI wise from the HELIX. 

I tried Chris's patch AND i just tried the template MIDI Bass Pedals patch in TEMPLATES - and ..... nothing ..... is this a known hardware/firmware bug or am i missing something ? 

My iPad receives MIDI over camera kit fine from other MIDI generators ( such as AKAI's LPK25 or Korg NanoKontrol )

Do you have the MIDI Over USB setting turned on in the Global Settings menu? It's under Knob on the MIDI/Tempo page.

Yes. 

And i can send-receive audio over USB  ( to/from Ableton for example ) fine  from the HELIX..  weird. 

FWIW - I *can* actually record HELIX parts into the Loopy HD slots manually by operating the iPad app directly and play them back via the HELIX - its just this MIDI thing. I'm tempted to think its a firmware thing - or some obscure option in the HELIX settings - doubt its a hardware fault - since its just different data being sent over the same serial cable. audio - fine (both ways).

Like Â· Reply Â· Just now Â· Edited
13124933_10201699083155300_3067844952521
Daniel Stenning i've also used MIDI "snooper" apps on both the iPad and iMac to catch *any* MIDI coming out of the HELIX .... but - nothing

FWIW - I *can* actually record HELIX parts into the Loopy HD slots manually by operating the iPad app directly and play them back via the HELIX - its just this MIDI thing. I'm tempted to think its a firmware thing - or some obscure option in the HELIX settings - doubt its a hardware fault - since its just different data being sent over the same serial cable. audio - fine (both ways).

Like Â· Reply Â· Just now Â· Edited
13124933_10201699083155300_3067844952521

Daniel Stenning i've also used MIDI "snooper" apps on both the iPad and iMac to catch *any* MIDI coming out of the HELIX .... but - nothing

Hi, Daniel,

Oh, more MIDI horrors!

When you ran your MIDI monitoring software on the iMac did you happen to spot any "Active Sense" messages cropping up in there.

Also, I really should avoid stating the obvious, but there is a foot switch on the Helix, named LOOPER.  Er... yeah right! Forget that, then!

"Digital_Igloo" (Line 6 Staff) has reliably informed me, via this forum, that an imminent new Firmware update is expected to solve any "active sense" issues over USB/MIDI, specifically on Macs and hopefully a heap more other faults.

Check his comments here: http://line6.com/support/topic/19463-bizarre-audio-midi-fault-its-driving-me-nuts/

Hope this is some help.

If not - welcome to Hell!

no i didn't   but........ this worked in the end:

well well well.... I tried this - and voila ! 

( rebooted the HELIX while the USB cable was attached to the iPad, also worked when attaching to iMac ) 

Moral of the story - its worth rebooting the HELIX if one is connecting a MIDI device via USB to it. 

https://youtu.be/nn2FB1P_Mn8

no i didn't   but........ this worked in the end:

well well well.... I tried this - and voila ! 

( rebooted the HELIX while the USB cable was attached to the iPad, also worked when attaching to iMac ) 

Moral of the story - its worth rebooting the HELIX if one is connecting a MIDI device via USB to it. 

https://youtu.be/nn2FB1P_Mn8

Yay - solved.

One more happy Helix user!