Photo

Pod Hd 500 - 500x *new* Routing Schematics

routing signal routing effect block gain input settings hd500 hd500x mono summing unity gain

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

We might be hijacking the thread, but there are good suggestions here.  If you run stereo FX after the amp, you would need 2 XLR's to FOH to get the stereo signal. You only get the summed stereo signal when you use 1 1/4" main out jack.

I did live sound for a while back in the 80's.  We never ran stereo mixes back then, because you can't get a good mix for various audience positions.  It's hard enough get a decent eq for various positions without having to consider stereo as well.  FI, if you run a stereo delay, the dry signal won't be as loud for people on one side, so the guitar part could sound off time.  It seems like M/S mixes could be made use of live, but I wouldn't worry about all that.  If you run 2 XLR's to FOH, the HE can sum them to mono or whatever is normally done at the venue.

#42 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:45 AM

Actually I have another reason for putting everything in path A and using guitar/variax input settings.

The reason is that this way I only need to change the volume setting on one channel in the mixer when I need to tweak the volume. I don't like using the amp volume because sometimes when I want to lower the volume on a patch the knob on the POD is near max. If you then turn the knob the volume will first jump to max. This can result in som scary lollipop (pardon my French).

Using the mixer volume, by turning the little knobs works great because these just adjust the volume frome wherever it is set.

I wish all the knobs on the POD worked like that.

Anyway, using both channels would mean adjusting both channels in the mixer so when I don't need the two paths I put everything in Path A for this reason.

Hi talwilkins

yes of course yours can seem a good reason for doing this
and you're not saying that you do it because it sounds better... 'cause it doesn't

indeed it's exactly the same, I mean exactly...

...follow me:
I imagine that you mute the path B and center the path A pan, right?
well what I'm telling you is that if you move all yor effects in pre and post path and put the amp in its default position keeping the same fx/amp order
(and leave the B fader muted and the path A pan centered)
the sound will remain TOTALLY unchanged as long as the input settings are at their default (or guitar/same)
and you'll still have you single master fader

see? no need to go so far from the default, that's all I'm saying here

just try it on a copy of your patch, save it and compare them

peace
Lore

#43 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

We might be hijacking the thread,

here is the thread on using both xlr and jack for mono or stereo setups:

http://line6.com/sup...ut-and-xlr-out/

#44 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

I posted a new topic about the Input Settings "Phase Issue" and the choice between a single input active (e.g. guitar/variax) or both inputs active (guitar/guitar),

here it is:

http://line6.com/sup...-vs-both-inputs

#45 cz-milan

cz-milan

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:22 AM

Hello Lorenzo,
I think, it would be better that you will make a hand sketch and present it here. I will redraw the scheme then.

Thanks for your wishes, I wish you the same, merry Christmas time and pleasant relax.

You can quote me as Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals´ translator into Czech language.

Milan

#46 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hello Lorenzo,
I think, it would be better that you will make a hand sketch and present it here. I will redraw the scheme then.

Thanks for your wishes, I wish you the same, merry Christmas time and pleasant relax.

You can quote me as Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals´ translator into Czech language.

Milan

Thanks to you, Milan, I started modifying my schematics and ended up with a version I like A LOT!

you can redraw your version and publish it, but I think that here I'll stick with this handmade version at least for a while

bye

and happy new year!

Lorenzo

#47 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I updated my routing schematics

the mods do not concern the content of the routing

It's just a clearer way to explain the same signal routing

many thanks to Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals' translator into Czech language

for inspiring me in doing that

cheers

Lorenzo

#48 innovine

innovine

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Any info for use withta dt25/50 amp? dual paths, cab modelling, the point in the chain where channel volume and master volumes are placed,and summing etcwhen output is unexplained with a line6 link to a dt25 amp..
Especially when low volume gets engaged, and the use of the direct out. whats going on in the chain there is a total mystery, and I've received conflicting explanations the few times I asked line6 support, so I guess they don't understand it either.

#49 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

I updated my routing schematics

the mods do not concern the content of the routing

It's just a clearer way to explain the same signal routing

many thanks to Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals' translator into Czech language

for inspiring me in doing that

cheers

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo - is your updated routing schematic drawing the one in the first entry of this thread?  Or have you posted the updated drawing somewhere else?

Thanks.

#50 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

Hi Lorenzo - is your updated routing schematic drawing the one in the first entry of this thread?  Or have you posted the updated drawing somewhere else?

Thanks.

yes it's the one in the first post of the thread

#51 lwolford

lwolford

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the HD 500. Does the "post" position mean that it is modeling effects in the effects loop of the modeled amp or effects put on the signal between the microphone and mixer in a studio setup? To put it another way, is "post" post pre-amp or post amplifier? Thanks.

#52 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11516 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

The pre/post terminology applies directly to the POD HD Looper. If that's what you are talking about, it's much simpler than you think.

Pre means the looper records the incoming signal directly from the source(s), before it enters the DSP chain. This is used to record a dry signal and then tweak the tone hands-free (and/or change presets to hear the differences) while the looper plays back the recording for you.

Post means the looper records the fully processed signal, the same signal that is sent to the HD outputs. This is useful to record a backing track (e.g. A chord sequence) and then use it to play solo on top of using a different tone/preset.

If you are talking about the POD HD FX loop, that's a completely different thing and the pre/post terminology doesn't really apply. You can position the FX Loop anywhere you like in the signal chain, and using the 4-cable method you can fully control its position relative to the amp's preamp and power amp sections.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#53 lwolford

lwolford

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

Sorry, I must not have been clear. If I put an effect before the amplifier in the signal chain I understand that it is simulating plugging my guitar into an effect and then plugging the effect into an amplifier. If I move that effect to after the amp in the Pod's signal chain (either in path A or B or after the mixer), is that simulating putting an effect in the simulated amp's effects loop? I'm not asking about the effects loop on the Pod or a looper. Thanks again for responding.

#54 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

It simulates putting the FX after the amp-cab-mic.
In the real world, it is similar to passing your miced signal thru an effect in your mixing console.

#55 lwolford

lwolford

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thanks jandrio.

#56 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

u r wellcome.

Hope it helped u.

rgds/john

#57 darwan23

darwan23

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Hi everyone,

according to many previous posts I redesigned the routing schematics of POD HD500 and tried to improve it just a little.

My goal was to include all possible kinds of FX blocks and show the difference between routing in A/B paths according to missing or using „pre“ FX blocks.

Any thoughts? Thanks for opinions…

Z.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1xzHkOJtKipR09jWjNwa051MzA/edit?usp=sharing

#58 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

Nice, Thanks for sharing such good info.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "SoundCloud Playlist" "And Ya Know It"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#59 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

Any chance you could post a PDF of this?  I had trouble making a nice copy to print out.

#60 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

here u r.

Attached Files

#61 darwan23

darwan23

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for your export to PDF, I can add some "HD" vector render in PNG.

(if we are talking about "HD" product line here...)   :D

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

P.S.: If anyone of you find something wrong in my drawing, I can redraw the old version...

#62 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

Thanks!  I printed out this very nice document.

#63 GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

OK I have to say I am struggling to get my head around this. My needs are simple:

1 x Guitar in - a few mono effects in 'pre' (drives, wah) - single amp - a few stereo effects in 'post' (reverb/delay) - output to Sudio/Direct via S/PDIF or output to DT25

What is the best input settings, mixer pans etc for this simple setup?

Gazza

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: routing, signal routing, effect block, gain, input settings, hd500, hd500x, mono summing, unity gain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users