Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replace on off foot switch button on hd 500 - common problem?

KevinOtto

Users  of POD HD 500 have you found the foot switch buttons have only so many stomps in them then they fail? Before you say "dah" I have had 2 separate units and I use #1 position button to boost leads. After a year of gigs and rehearsals both buttons failed. Is this common? Is it usually the circuit board underneath or the foot switch button itself? Buttons are $11.00 full compass - (#50-03-0129) easy enough to open up and replace or lollipop?

Users  of POD HD 500 have you found the foot switch buttons have only so many stomps in them then they fail? Before you say "dah" I have had 2 separate units and I use #1 position button to boost leads. After a year of gigs and rehearsals both buttons failed. Is this common? Is it usually the circuit board underneath or the foot switch button itself? Buttons are $11.00 full compass - (#50-03-0129) easy enough to open up and replace or lollipop?

A bit of a search back through the forum regarding "footswitch" led me to this youtube link someone posted a way back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JUStkzZ0I#t=2

I have used this process on both of my HD500s to get switches which were a bit intermittent in their performance, back to a more "normal" state. They were improved in their performance, but are still not "as new", in fact one still fails to work intermittently. I will pull the back off the units again soon, and this time, swap the springs of switches which I rarely use (i.e looper), with those that are a bit NQR, and see if that fixes the problem in a better way. Failing that method, I would look at replacing switches. I'm not ready to try soldering on that board just yet.....

Daring to quote myself:

http://line6.com/support/topic/5056-pod-hd500-unreliable-footswitches/?p=107741

The probability is that the spring has been compressed a bit over time and is no longer making a good connection to the microswitch underneath.

The solution to this is to stretch the spring a bit and then put it back - while doing this a little bit of oil in the mechanical part will give you silent switching (no where near the circuit boards - use a 3 in 1 household oil not WD40),

Only if the microswitch looks depressed and doesn't obviously click when you push it directly is the problem like to be with it.

My very early HD500 had unresponsive switches for a while but is working perfectly since I gave the springs a stretch and used a little bit of oll.