Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Action button not working?

sonicwave

Hi all,

Today I wanted to get more into creating my own patches, since I have been using mostly the factory preset stuff up to now.

I read in the manual that in order to move block around you:

1. Select the block
  2. Press the "ACTION" button, which causes it to appear "picked up" and displayes some options in the bottom of the window
  3. Move the to where it needs to go
  4. Press the "ACTION" button again to place it.

I think that is pretty straight forward. But.. when I press the action button on Helix (I use the device itself to edit patched, not the app on my PC) nothing happens.

It does not look picked up, or no options appear. 

What gives?

Just to make sure, after selecting a block on the line, and pressing action, now pull the joystick downwards.

That should open up an fx loop with the block ( lets say a delay pedal for example) now moved to a lower line.

Al

Yeah when you press Action the bottom part of the display screen should change from "Press Joystick to open model list" to:

Knob 1: Copy Block

Knob 2: Paste Block

Knob 3: Clear Block

Knob 4: Clear All blocks

Unless you select an active fx block first with the joystick, knobs 1,2 and 3 will be greyed out.

Just to make sure, after selecting a block on the line, and pressing action, now pull the joystick downwards.

That should open up an fx loop with the block ( lets say a delay pedal for example) now moved to a lower line.

Al

Yeah when you press Action the bottom part of the display screen should change from "Press Joystick to open model list" to:

Knob 1: Copy Block

Knob 2: Paste Block

Knob 3: Clear Block

Knob 4: Clear All blocks

Unless you select an active fx block first with the joystick, knobs 1,2 and 3 will be greyed out.

That was also my understanding, but when I press "action" nothing happens. There are no changes visible on the screen like ricksteruk is mentioning.

So that makes me wonder if the this button might be deffective. Is there any other area where "action" has a purpose so I could test this? Or perhaps some diagnostic tool?

Trying to create a parallel path in the Helix Application works fine btw..

It's a longshot, but there is a diagnostic mode by holding switches 4 & 5 while powering on. Select the first item, by pressing the joystick, when the menu shows up. Then hit the action button. You should see one of the red entries change to green and an indication of each state of the button.

It is defective then. Can you send it back?

Fortunately the shop I bought it from is here in the city (didnt mail order online this time) so if duncann's suggestion doesnt work I will need to contact them, or the authorized Line 6 servicing company. Both are close by, its just a hassle.

On my Helix the BYPASS button has to be pressed significantly harder than any of the others.  Might be worth a shot.

Ha! This seems to be true in my case as well. Just tried this diagnostic mode as duncann suggested, and initially i thought it did not work. But when I pressed harder the action item went to yellow (i think) and indicated 0 (and 1 when pressed).

Does anyone else have this? It works, so I am happy :) but it doesnt seem normal?

Thanks to DarellM5 for saving me the trouble of returning the unit!

• 1 year later...