Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack Guitar Thru Out with Variax

shawngs

Is it possible to set the Guitar Thru Out in the back of the Helix Rack to send the tone from the Variax? I've got an external tuner that I like and can't figure out how send the Variax tone to it when I use the digital cable. It works like normal when I use a ¼ inch cable but then I don't get the automatic variax switching. How can I send the tone? Also, all of my effects loops are full...

Is it possible to set the Guitar Thru Out in the back of the Helix Rack to send the tone from the Variax? I've got an external tuner that I like and can't figure out how send the Variax tone to it when I use the digital cable. It works like normal when I use a ¼ inch cable but then I don't get the automatic variax switching. How can I send the tone? Also, all of my effects loops are full...

Hi shawngs,

That a very, very confusing question!

Why do you need to send the tone?

I guess a tuner is probably best getting a clean signal at the start of the chain rather than after being jammed full of distortion and filter sweeping FX.

Could I suggest what possibly maybe a really simple solution, although I think you might already have a part of the answer.

Why not just stick a regular guitar cable into the Variax jack socket?

Then, connect it up to your favorite tuner on the other end.

Your digital audio would go to Helix, as normal, through the VDI connection.

You don't state what model Variax you're using but if it's one with mag pups, I don't think having a tuner in line would be an issue.

Re: the Thru Out socket, I guess you may well be referring to the MIDI DIN socket - don't mess with it, it's for MIDI data only - that way madness lies!

Hope this helps.

I am pretty sure that buffered output is ONLY what comes in the 1/4" guitar input.

You could use a send, but I already know you are using all of those with H9s (no, I'm not jealous... not even a little bit...)

I'm guessing you're using all your paths, if not, you could set up one to go only to 1/4" and your mains to go only to XLR or something like that... unless you are doing surround (I wouldn't be surprised... but I still want a video tour of your rig, man... really really BAD...)