Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A little IR comparison...OwnHammer & 3 Sigma Audio

sminchk67

I picked up 7 packs of 3 Sigma IR's after this video.  The one page "manual" for each pack in each one lists the same mics. 

• SM57 (dynamic)
  • Microphone Parts MP47 (condenser)
  • Audio Technical ATM 250E (dynamic kick drum type)
  • Neuman U47 (condenser)
  • Roswell Aurora (condenser)

They do not go into detail on which mics are used or how the are used in the manual.  I would guess a dynamic and maybe a condenser on the cabs and a condenser or two in the room.

They also state that their "A" IR's are a modded Peavey 5150 and "B" IR's are a custom solid state amp (Scott mentions).  They recommend blending them if needed (which Scott does in the video).  So that means loading two parallel IR's to get the best sound.  Which is in line with other IR's and Helix dual cabs.

The 3 Sigma IR's are pretty good.  But there is still something missing between Helix amps and IR's in general, especially for high gain.  Honestly, I think I got better high gain sounds with the Helix cabs.  They do sound great for clean and low-to-mid gain Helix amps.  

I probably won't buy any more IR's for a while though and will hold out for some Helix cab content and functionality development.  I'm getting what I want and (think) I need from IR'ing my own gear for now.

Oh, but I cant create a single blended IR to load intor Helix with NadIR.  What apps/plugins do this?

Right you would need to save it as a new IR (custom IR) Redwirez has mix IR as im sure you are aware of.

But there is still something missing between Helix amps and IR's in general, especially for high gain.  Honestly, I think I got better high gain sounds with the Helix cabs.  They do sound great for clean and low-to-mid gain Helix amps. 

I think you just need to find the right IRs. My best helix sounds are coming from a combination of a Helix cab and an IR. Sometimes a single 1024 IR is all it takes though.....and to add, condenser mics are a bit more true than dynamic mics. With the right monitoring and knowing what to listen for you can tell when its an IR using a dynamic mic. A condenser is near impossible to tell.

Semi knowing you, for $125, i think you should just spring for the entire redwirez library. Youll get mixIR and a lot of stuff you may not be aware that you like.

• Upvote 1

Right you would need to save it as a new IR (custom IR) Redwirez has mix IR as im sure you are aware of.

I think you just need to find the right IRs. My best helix sounds are coming from a combination of a Helix cab and an IR. Sometimes a single 1024 IR is all it takes though.....and to add, condenser mics are a bit more true than dynamic mics. With the right monitoring and knowing what to listen for you can tell when its an IR using a dynamic mic. A condenser is near impossible to tell.

Semi knowing you, for $125, i think you should just spring for the entire redwirez library. Youll get mixIR and a lot of stuff you may not be aware that you like.

Good suggestions. I didn't realize MixIR could save out files.

The ability to mix multiple IR's and save as a single IR file would be worth it, whether i use 3rd party IRs, my own, or both. I too get the best sounds from a mix of two IR'S or 1 IR + a Helix cab. I usually can't spare the Helix processing for two IRs.

• Upvote 1