Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

th-IRs-ty Thursday IR's - Line 6 SV MKII HD100 + Recto 212 + 2 mics (+ secret Bonus)

roscoe5

IR life is getting better.

I acquired a Line 6 Spider Valve MKII HD100 6L6 tube head this weekend. It was a pawn shop special that needed some love, clean up, and biasing, but it is up and running perfectly now!

I have to say this must be one of the most neutral tube amps I have ever heard. It's just a step more coloration than solid state and not nearly as much coloration as my Mesa amps. It has even less coloration than my Randall RM100 head (Egnater designed for different preamp modules), which I thought was really neutral.

It must be the Bogner amp design to work well with Line 6 modelers...and it sounds FANTASTIC with Helix. Helix amp-only models>Helix 1/4" out >1/4" SV power amp in>Recto 212 is now my main rig, even over all of my other Mesa amps.

I dropped about $40 on on 7 packs of 3 Sigma IR's today. I really liked the online sound clips and comparisons and their site info. But when I got them into Helix, I was still pretty uninspired from the tones, similar vibes to other IR's like the Ownhammer and Redwire demos, as well as Helix cabs. I actually was able to get sounds I liked better with the Helix cabs. I think they would probably be really good if i were to run my physical amps into them. Regardless, I went into the sound cave with new inspiration, determined to make IR's that I liked better with Helix amps.

Anyway...blah, blah, blah, gimme the IR's fool......okay!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lstuzn05tdpin9v/AAALqjD9kW55RArTaY6MtTUEa/v3/L6SVMII%20Recto212?dl=0

Two mics this time: Shure SM57 and Audix D1. The Audix D1 has stays stronger in the low to low-mid frequency range than the SM57. This results in a little more low end, and boosted midrange. The SM57 has a bit of scoop to it. The Audix D1 does have more highs to it as well. Actually, i think the Audix D1 makes a good guitar cab mic. You can Google the frequency response curves of each and see for yourself.

The off-axis (oa) 2 positions of each seem to be closest to amp/cab in room sound. The L6SV_R212_oa2D57 will probably be my new front of house PA XLR path block now, and I will send Helix amp-only to the power amp of my SV amp/Recto 212.

These IR's made with the L6 SVMKII HD100 power section are very neutral, especially for a tube amp. These IR's work really well with all Helix amp models with little coloration. I think they really let the nuances and fine controls of the Helix amp models shine through and give more control of sound back to Helix.

As I have done with previous v3 IRs, mics were positioned and oriented for the best Helix amp model into power amp/cab tones. Not just typical generic positions.

Next week we'll get back to colored IR's. My new Mesa Triple Recto Multiwatt will be up to bat.

Have a great weekend!!!

Link to main IR folder

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/009bkqzooza1aop/AAB6OPVyoC_yn3vGl_r5FZRba/IR/v3?dl=0

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to regret getting rid of the DT50 now.  I bet is has similar neutrality to the SV with EL34 flavor and topology switching.  I bet I could get some nice, versitile, neutral tube IR's between SV HD100 (6L6) and DT50 (EL34).  Anyone want to let me borrow a DT50 for a couple of weeks ;)

I do have a Radial VT tube amp switcher that could allow me to switch between SV & DT50.  It even has a 1/4" remote switch jack that Helix could control (hopefully...I'll need to check).  Hmm...SV MKII (6L6) + DT50 (EL34)+ VT Switch + Helix = new dream rig?  Hmm...

Maybe Line 6/Bogner will come out with a Helix super-amp 6L6/EL34 hybrid, like a Mesa Roadking, with topology switching.  They could probably even throw a small digital SS amp in there too and cover all bases.  You could have a wet-dry-wet setup where the tube amps run the dry signal to 1 or 2 12" speakers (and horn?) and the stereo SS amp runs the wet signal to the coax 6" speakers.

Now I'm thinking of a custom stereo 2 x 6" coax cab to go on top of my Recto 2x12 for a wet setup and let SV/Recto 212 handle the dry.  I might bust out the old Crate Powerblock 2x75 stereo amp to run the wet coax cab.  Helix should be able to handle the routing.  I guess I could test the concept with my M-Audio BX-5's and see if it would be worthwhile.

I put a fun little Cali Double IR preset out on Dropbox with a Line 6 Spider Valve (neutral) IR and a Mark V (colored) IR.  I left the 0% Volume blocks in place since they helped me isolate each IR for adjustment.  The relative IR's and some preset settings screenshots are packed up with the preset for convenience.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lstuzn05tdpin9v/AACcbTHrBHyF78czRxGZS3lTa/v3/_Presets/Cali%20Double%20IR?dl=0

i couldnt resist since I was so excited about (re)discovering the AKG D112 as a guitar mic.

Bonus preview IR of my Mesa Triple Rec multiwatt and Recto 212 with an AKG D112 for those following the thread. Stick this up your (Cali) Recto and smoke it ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/009bkqzooza1aop/AAAJYDC7vALV4I_VTfXkoimNa/IR/v3/_Presets/Cali%20Recto%20D112?dl=0