Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie with JTV69 and HD500

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just got my first JTV69 this week, I've been using my regular guitars thru the HD500 for a little while so I'm a little versed in it's use. Still have trouble figuring out the best ways to set things up for best tones.

My first question would be, can I send a looped acoustic patch to the P.A. and also play chords and lead tones to my amp at the same time. I may choose to eliminate my Marshall amp altogether down the road but not sure about that part yet cause I like having that stage sound behind me too.

I am the only guitar player in our band and I'd like to add acoustic guitar, banjo or dobro at times, we are a modern country cover band, so being able to switch these on the fly thru the HD500 is a dream come true.

for instance the beginning of this following song.

You can do that in terms of presets and connections, but you may find it difficult to use the looper for live playing. Using the Hd500 looper live while changing presets requires a tap dancing skill that I gave up on. It's just too awkward for me to get all the footswitches stomped in the right order and at the right time while keeping the song tempo.

You will need to use two presets in your HD500 - one for the acoustic guitar and one for the electric guitar. Each preset will store/recall the desired JTV model.

The acoustic guitar preset should include the looper in post position. The Mixer in the preset should pan the signal full left. Connect the Hd500 L output to the P.A.

The electric guitar preset does not need the looper. Pan the mixer full right in this preset and connect the Hd500 R output to your amp.

That should give you the required setup. Now get your tap dancing shoes on and see if you can hit the switches and keep the tempo! You'll need to enter Looper Mode to record the acoustic loop, leave it playing back when finished recording, exit Looper Mode to switch presets, play your electric over the loop, enter Looper Mode again to turn off the loop playback when desired, and end up in the right preset to continue playing when the looper stops. And all of this while playing and keeping the song tempo.

OPTION:

It may be possible to do all this in one preset which would certainly simplify the dancing. I haven't experimented with it but theoretically it's feasible. The connections are the same - L output to the PA and R to your amp. You would need a dual-path preset that keeps the signals completely separate throughout the chain, with the mixer panned full L and R appropriately for each path. Let's say you use Path A for your acoustic guitar and Path B for your electric. Set Input 1 to Variax and Input 2 to Variax Mags. Note that you will be limited to using your JTV69 mag pickups for electric guitar - a Strat sound. Note also that you may be limited in terms of FX on each path - you can only use 8 total.

The trick in this setup will be to assign a footswitch in the preset to simultaneously toggle an effective 'mute' function in each path when you want to switch from acoustic to electric. There's no inherent feature to do this in the Hd500 so you will have to arrange to do it by turning on/off key blocks in the signal chain. For instance, while playing acoustic you might bypass the electric guitar amp and set its bypass volume to 0. While playing electric guitar you might bypass the preamp in your acoustic path, which will reduce its volume to near-zero. You'll have to experiment with this setup to see if you can make it work for you.