Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

malhavok

I've been working on Metallica tones for their first five albums. The goal was to get as accurate as possible. Here's where I ended up! The video quality varies quite a bit but all the guitar playing is recorded direct to the computer via USB with no mixing or any kind of extra processing added. It's straight Helix.

Seek & Destroy for that gnarly, old-school metal Kill 'Em All tone

Fade To Black with Hetfield's revamped and modded Marshall tone

• Upvote 1

I've loaded the Seek & Destroy patch and it sounds really good an authentic to my ears. I especially like the option to get a simulated doubled guitar sound. I recently bought the Enter Sandman patch too but haven't loaded it yet.

The Rhoads Crazy Train patch is a kick as well. Ben is meticulous in his artist research and sweats a lot of detail in putting these patches together. Nice work.

• Upvote 1

Weird I downloaded the Metallica patches and they don't sound anything like the videos in my headphones, I guess I will try them in my studio monitors tomorrow.  I don't know whats up but honestly the preset patches from the Helix sound way better to me then most of the custom tones I have downloaded also.  I guess I will just stick to making my own for now on.

It's gotta be down to difference in guitar or playing style if you are listening to the vids and your Helix through the same headphones. All the vids are a single track of guitar with no extra processing. Guitar straight to Helix which is USB to my DAW.