Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nut cut too deep on new jtv59

With moderate bending, my G and B strings go out of tune quite often.   The strings have only been on the guitar about two weeks.  I read that your strings should only be half buried in the nut, with about half of the string above the nut.  This is true and my low E and A strings only.   The troublesome strings seem to be way down in the nut.  I have done some lubrication

D'Addario EXL115-3D Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings Medium/Blues-Jazz Rock, 11-49

post-1445431-0-79357400-1463670019_thumb.jpg

These are plastic nuts that are not adjusted IMO.  You can adjust it or have an experienced Luthier adjust it.  I have done some of mine and I think that learning how to properly adjust a nut for good performance is a fairly difficult task to learn to do properly.  You need the proper nut files and proper technique to do it right.  You will love the improvement if you get a well adjusted nut installed.

I'm partial to the Graphtec self-lubricated nuts.  I had one put on my JTV-69 last year and it significantly improved tuning stability.  Pricing will vary, but should be vicinity of $40-60 + parts.

• Upvote 1

The person who did the Plek leveling on my JTV-69 Strat neck installed a  bone nut.  Unfortunately, I had tuning stability issues even with shallow tremolo dives, thus the Graphtec replacement.  Probably just me since everyone else seems to love them.

I had a black Earvana nut installed on my JTV59 by a good guitar tech. Intonation accuracy up and down the neck is improved by the Earvana design. I also had him replace the jumbo frets with regulars. The jumbo frets themselves were the cause of some tuning issues due to my heavy handed and overall sloppy chording/playing.

I had a black Earvana nut installed on my JTV59 by a good guitar tech. Intonation accuracy up and down the neck is improved by the Earvana design. I also had him replace the jumbo frets with regulars. The jumbo frets themselves were the cause of some tuning issues due to my heavy handed and overall sloppy chording/playing.

How does that nut handle bends, as far as tuning stability.    Had you also read that the strings should not be buried in the nut?

The person who did the Plek leveling on my JTV-69 Strat neck installed a  bone nut.  Unfortunately, I had tuning stability issues even with shallow tremolo dives, thus the Graphtec replacement.  Probably just me since everyone else seems to love them.

Bone nuts where what was on most guitars way back. Many still like them but personally I find they are newer material such as the Graphtec you have superior. The plastic ones even are not horrible if they are cut correctly. Sadly for as much as the JTV cost, they dont' seem to be setup very well from the factory. 

To the OP, yea find a lutither you can take it to and have new nut put on it and cut correctly. It will be much better and likely even play better after they do a setup which will be necessary with the nut replacement.

Had you also read that the strings should not be buried in the nut?

Instead of worrying about whether or not the nut meets some arbitrary/theoretical definition of "correct" slot depth that you read online, just address the problem. A cheap plastic nut, is exactly that. Sometimes the strings bind in there if it's not cut properly and there are little jagged burrs for the string to catch on. Have a new one fitted. Also, and forgive me if this is not the case, but numerous times over the years I've had students complain of the same issue, and 9 out of 10 times it's a newer set of strings that were not adequately stretched when they were put on. Might wanna give that a try first.

But if you're gonna obsess anyway, consider this: You might get the wound strings to protrude a bit above the top of the slot, as their diameters are considerably larger than the plain steels, so there's still plenty of string in the slot to keep it in place...but your gripe is about the G and B strings. These are tiny diameters we're talking about. In order for those strings to not be "buried" in nut, it would have to have slots so shallow, you'd be lucky if the string didn't fly out altogether when you bend it. And, with the resulting higher action, fretting anything on the first few frets would become really difficult.

• Upvote 1

Instead of worrying about whether or not the nut meets some arbitrary/theoretical declaration of slot depth that you read online, just address the problem. A cheap plastic nut, is exactly that. Sometimes the strings bind in there if it's not cut properly and there little jagged burrs for the string to catch on. Have a new one fitted. Also, and forgive me if this is not the case, but numerous times over the years I've had students complain of the same issue, and 9 out of 10 times it's a newer set of strings that were not adequately stretched when they were put on. Might wanna give that a try first.

But if you're gonna obsess anyway, consider this: You might get the wound strings to protrude a bit above the top of the slot, as their diameter is considerable larger than the plain steels...but your gripe is about the G and B strings. These are tiny diameters we're talking about. In order for those strings to not be "buried" in nut, it would have to be have slots so shallow, you'd be lucky if the string didn't fly out of the slot altogether when you bend it. And, fretting anything on the first few frets would become really difficult.

Ha, you remember me.   Yes I am absolutely taking the guitar to a local recommended Luther since this work isn't variax-specific.

Graphtec lubricating nut

I agree with cruisinon2 on this.  The larger strings should stick up above the nut slot but not the smaller ones.  There is a fine line between too tight and too loose in the nut slot on the unwound strings.  Most guitars come with a prefab plastic nut these days and they are a compromise.  I have the Earvana nut on several guitars and I like them.  The nut on my JTV69S is fine though.  No tuning problems and the string height is just right.  I think they may be Graphtech nuts.

How does that nut handle bends, as far as tuning stability.    Had you also read that the strings should not be buried in the nut?

The Earvana handles bends as well as any other good nut in my experience. I think bending strings in general puts them out of tune regardless of the nut. The more and more often you bend, the more frequently you need to retune.

I have not read anything about string height above/below nut level. That doesn't mean there's nothing written about it.

I've never really done string-stretching.  Just assumed that after a week of normal play and bending it would be settled in, and that's the case on my Strat and Carvin.  Not with the JTV59     Anyway a new, possibly better nut and a neck setup can't hurt.  Might also pick up some nut lube.

I've never really done string-stretching. Just assumed that after a week of normal play and bending it would be settled in...

Wow. And an emphatic "no". Do you enjoy waiting a week for the strings to "settle in" so that you can play in tune? Frankly, that's ludicrous.

Stretch and re-tune until no matter much you yank on it, it doesn't go flat anymore (or very little, anyway). Takes all of 5 minutes...if that. And you might find that the problem goes away. In fact, if you're not doing this, I'll bet you $20 that you don't need a new nut. Stretch the strings before you pay somebody for a nut install. You'll be able to buy 10 sets of strings instead...

Like I said...9/10 times, this is the problem. Never ceases to amaze me though. It's as basic as it gets.

+1 on the string yank :D Someone even makes a little widget to help with this operation, although I'm not sure why the hands mother nature provides aren't sufficient.

Lol, there's a "tool" for this now? Unreal. Well, anything that helps us all get fatter and lazier generally sells. God forbid we burn those 4.5 calories tugging on guitar strings ;)

The "string-stretcher thingamewhozits" guy is probably a millionaire...

Just a quick note, but if I recall correctly, all the JTV's are built with Graphteck nuts. Has this changed? I remember the tag that came with it...

Dave

I forget...you may be right. My neck didn't stay on long enough for me to care about the nut one way or the other. ;)

Ahh -- there found it on the specs listed at Line 6:

JTV-59: 1-11/16" Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL self-lubricating nut

JTV-69(S) & Variax Standard: 1-5/8" Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL self-lubricating nut

JTV-89F: Locking Floyd Rose® nut and string tree

I have not had a particular problem with the 69S neck (and I have big hands), but I know a lot have switched 'em out. Each to their own.

Dave

Just a quick note, but if I recall correctly, all the JTV's are built with Graphteck nuts. Has this changed? I remember the tag that came with it...

Dave

Well so much for needing a new nut.     Sounds like stretching and maybe some lube are in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely need to stretch your strings. Also make sure you have at least a few windings around your tuner posts. Recently went Gibson Les Paul shopping and EVERY guitar had one maybe barely two winds around the tuner posts, and EVERY one of them wouldn't stay in tune for crap, even after stretching in the strings on the one I decided to get. Changed the strings PROPERLY and stretched them in, stays in tune just fine.

Also check your tuners, make sure they're moving freely and make sure the bushings and mounting screws are snug. A loose tuner is a useless tuner.

As for the nut, barre at the 3rd fret and press each string at the first fret. Movement should be about as much as the thickness of a thick paper business card. Excessive movement means filing is in order, no movement means the nut is cut too deep.

If you hear pinging sound while tuning it means the string is binding. Lube it or slightly enlarge/smooth out the slot (but remove as little material as possible and try not to lower too much).

If the guitar stays in tune, plays in tune up the first part of the fretboard, and doesn't appear to bind (no pinging) then there's nothing wrong. Definitely have to stretch (and bend) new strings though. Absolute requirement unless you just like playing out of tune for the lifetime of the set of strings.