Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Microphone cuts after 5 to 10 minutes of being in a game.

So I have owned a UX2 with a MXL 990 mic for awhile now but recently I've noticed an issue, namely that after about 5 to 10 minutes of playing a video game, with PodFarm open, the microphone no long picks up my voice. The meters on podfarm move half a bar or so, if I tab out of the game and wait, sometimes the mic will come back, only to cut out again when I tab back in.

I've tried multiple usb ports

Using both Mic inputs

I changed my power plan for both the USB and Hard disk

I raised the buffer size

I updated drivers

But nothing seems to do the trick.

It only seems to happen when playing a game, it doesn't effect skype or anything else that would use my microphone.

Is there something I missed?

I hope someone can be of help

Thank you.

What O/S are you using?  There is a setting in Win7 that basically fills up a memory location from any audio being used and when it fills up, it shuts down.  rebooting clears it out, then it starts again.  Been quite a few years since I changed my settings, I don't remember the details now.

What O/S are you using?  There is a setting in Win7 that basically fills up a memory location from any audio being used and when it fills up, it shuts down.  rebooting clears it out, then it starts again.  Been quite a few years since I changed my settings, I don't remember the details now.

Oh wow! I am indeed using windows 7 so that very well seems like a a major suspect.

Do you remember anything that would give me a base to research where this setting is? Anything would help.

Thank you for this reply, I was starting to lose hope. Ha.

Studio condenser mic,... you are using phantom power?

Use phantom power on condenser mics only,... nothing else.

Yes, I do have the phantom power turned on for my mic, which is a condenser, correct? I should have specified. Thank you for the advice regardless.

Like I said, the mic works in skype and everything else, the problem only occurs while running games through steam.

The sound remains, it's just the microphone that gets cut and sometimes if I unplug the mic from the UX2 and reconnect it, the mic picks up for only about a minute or two before cutting again.

"I should have specified"--- only with a UX2 or UX8.

I always ask since I see too many come across my bench,

because someone kicked in the phantom power while using

a dynamic mic, killing the UX2 or UX8 in the process.

You're okay then.

Video games,... running 64 bit, instead of 32 bit?

I ask because it's something I've come across recently, dealing with several audio apps from different companies,

running on the same computer. Where one app is running 64, the other 32, and memory getting filled while the CPU

boggs down.

Not sure if that's the case here, but having gone thru this myself recently, I know it's a possibility.