Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use two IRs in one patch?

FacemanJoe

I would create a split path and put the two IRs in parallel rather than series. To create the split select an FX block in path 1A and drag it downwards. The display will create/show path 1B. Drop the block there and then make it a 2nd IR block. Keep your amp in front of the split so that the amp signal will be routed to both IRs independently.

• Upvote 2

I believe there can be only one IR block per path. So you would need to use a split and run in parallel after the amp in paths 1 and 2 to use two IRs. 

Another option is to blend the IRs using a utility like Apple Logic Pro X SpaceDesigner or Redwirez mixIR2. The resulting IR won't be stereo, but that might not be a problem in many cases.

I've experimented quite a bit with the S-Gear convolver. It supports two cabinet models with selectable mic positions and distances, bass and treble controls for cabinet EQ (boost and cut, not just high and low pass filters), phase reverse, delay, panning, volume, and "Z" control which simulates the effect of variable speaker impedance with frequency and interaction with the amp and its damping factor. In my experience, these can have an interesting effect on tone, especially into a good stereo FRFR. And these are useful tools for recording. But in practice these subtilies can be lost in live situations, or in even relatively sparse mixes.  Choice of speaker model, mic or mic position can often have a more dramatic effect.

There can be no end to IR selection and blending. What it often comes down to is that different choices just sound different, not necessarily better or worse. My suggestion is to choose a speaker model you're familiar with, or is used by someone whose tone you really like. Grab a quality IR for that speaker using a couple of mics and a few mic positions, add them to Helix and then play with them for a while in live situations. You might find that the ones that sound best when auditioning by yourself don't blend well in a mix, or overlap with other instruments too much. 

I believe there can be only one IR block per path. So you would need to use a split and run in parallel after the amp in paths 1 and 2 to use two IRs.

The limitation is because of available DSP. You can have two 1024 sample IRs on the same path, in series.

@FacemanJoe:

Don't be afraid to try cabs and IRs in series. I get interesting results, sometimes good, doing this, depending on the IR. I kind of think of it as a way to EQ a built-in cab, or the other way around if the IR is first.

Redwirez mixIR2 DAW plug in let's you load multiple IR's and export to a single IR WAV file you can use in Helix.  You can run Helix amps (cab & IR blocks off) into your DAW, audition and mix your IR's (I recommend a recorded track or loop in Helix), and export to a single IR wav file.  This saves Helix processing power by only using a single IR block.

$49 alone, or comes with the Redwirez BigBox IR pack for $125.

http://www.redwirez.com/products.jsp

Fractal Cab Lab does this too, but exports only proprietary AxeFX files, no wav.  It would be nice if Line 6 would do something like this for Helix owners, but the Redwirez mixIR2 fills the bill.

• Upvote 1

Another option is to blend the IRs using a utility like Apple Logic Pro X SpaceDesigner or Redwirez mixIR2. The resulting IR won't be stereo, but that might not be a problem in many cases.

Oops, amsdenj already mentioned mixIR2...sorry for the repeat.

Yeah it works i have tried it many times but it sounded somehow dark and muddy BUT drag one down to path B and the sound opens up and is to my ears way better so i never do that again..

Interesting.  I'll play around with it some and see how it sounds to me.