Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Something New with my Dream Rig...

I've been experimenting with full models on the POD HD500 and LVM on my DT50 2x12.

I have a standard patch that I work with. Its got delay, compressor, reverb, yada yada.

When ever I create a new patch it starts with the above FX and then I start dialing in the amp that fits the sound I'm going for.

In the past everything was edited through the POD edit software. Tonight I didn't feel like hooking up my computer so I started dialing through amps and fiddling with the settings on the amp face.

Let me back up a bit. 

In LVM (Low Volume Mode) I was using full model amps on the POD instead of the pre-amp only models. My slow butt just now figured out that the LVM on the DT has a modeled  power amp. (Yeah... I'm slow! But I play guitar really well So back up off me!)

Having discovered this, I started playing with full models on the POD and LVM on the DT.

The real magic happened for me when I used the amp knobs on the face of the amp to dial in a great tone. 

Yes, I know that the knobs on the POD do the same thing, Yes, I know that the POD Edit software does the same thing! But there was something organic and special about using the knobs in a traditional way that made a real difference for me. I held my head differently when listening to the amp. The speed in which I was able to tweaked the amp and strum my guitar was the way I remember it pre digital. Pre software!

Using the software involves getting a mouse to cooperate. That takes up time for me. That time took me out of the tone zone and put me into the "where is the pointer on my screen" zone.

For me, that made a difference in how I proceeded to dial in my tone. For me, knob. strum, knob, strum gets the job done better than strum, mouse pad, where is my curser?, click, hold, software crash, re-boot, mouse pad, wheres the pointer, click, hold,  73%, 74%, 78%, 76%, 74%, 77%, 76%, 77%, 76% and then finally the 75% I thought I wanted! I found myself in stuck in I.T. 'ville and nowhere near tone-town!

At this point, I friggin forgot what tonal quality I was trying to accomplish! 

Maybe its just me. Give it a try and see what happens! I was able to dial in some serious tone! Even the Super O is now in my mix!

We have so much at our finger tips! In the medical field a great doctor is brilliant at the basics! Before they push one drug, they make sure that the simple stuff is handled first. Before you start digging into the POD and the POD software, get brilliant at turning the knobs on the front of the amp and then strumming to dial in your tone. You might be as surprised as I was at how easy it is and how good it sounds!

• 4 weeks later...