Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Basic setup question

Rushfan76

Apologies in advance is this is a very basic question, but I'm looking to purchase the Helix in the next few days (the UK finally has some stock!!) and want to ensure I have the right cables to hand.

I am looking to connect the Helix to a set of Personus E5 monitors, currently I connect these monitors through a 'balanced' 1/4" input to a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface.

My intention was to connect my monitors using the same 1/4" cables from the balanced input to the Helix, however from looking at the Helix manual it seems I would need to connect from the XLR inputs instead? If I tried to connect by using the 1/4" input on the Helix it states it must be 'unbalanced' so presumably it wouldn't work.

Basically I'm very confused and don't want to spend over £1k on the unit and then find I can't connect it properly without ordering new cables etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Apologies in advance is this is a very basic question, but I'm looking to purchase the Helix in the next few days (the UK finally has some stock!!) and want to ensure I have the right cables to hand.

I am looking to connect the Helix to a set of Personus E5 monitors, currently I connect these monitors through a 'balanced' 1/4" input to a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface.

My intention was to connect my monitors using the same 1/4" cables from the balanced input to the Helix, however from looking at the Helix manual it seems I would need to connect from the XLR inputs instead? If I tried to connect by using the 1/4" input on the Helix it states it must be 'unbalanced' so presumably it wouldn't work.

Basically I'm very confused and don't want to spend over £1k on the unit and then find I can't connect it properly without ordering new cables etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Hi Rushfan76,

Yup, you're correct - the 1/4'' out sockets on the rear of the Helix are unbalanced jacks and the XLRs are balanced connectors.

If you're intending to splurge out over a grand on a brand new state of the art, super dooper, whizz bang audio processor why worry about a few quid more on the cables to do the job? Can't see how that would be a deal breaker. The right tools to do the job and all that stuff!

A little general information re Balanced and Unbalaced:

It’s important to note that using a balanced cable on an unbalanced signal gives you no benefits. The jacks on the gear on both ends of the cable must be designed for balanced signals as well; otherwise there’s no circuitry to do the phase inversion that produces the noise cancellation. On the flip side, however, using an unbalanced cable with gear that expects balanced signals will “work†(in the sense that audio will go from point A to point B), but the signal will be unbalanced and susceptible to the same noise as any unbalanced signals. Check the documentation of your gear (or the labels on the gear itself, near the jacks) to determine what type of signal a given jack is designed to support, if you’re not certain.

Note: I ditched my Focusrite Saffire and hook up to my near field monitors from the Helix 1/4' sockets, the cables have gold plated jacks and it works just fine for me.

Hope this is some help!

Many thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

Yes I absolutely intend to spend some money on getting the right cables, just wanted to check the setup before ordering the cables.

So from what you're saying I am best off getting a pair of XLR jack cables to go from the XLR input on the Helix to the XLR input on my monitors? 

Thanks

So from what you're saying I am best off getting a pair of XLR jack cables to go from the XLR input on the Helix to the XLR input on my monitors? 

Well, it depends what you prefer, quality wise - more you spend, better the quality (theoretically) - you pay your money and take your chance.

Balanced XLRs will help with noise cancellation and longer cable runs (should you ever need that?)

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

If your monitors have XLR inputs, I would use XLR cables.  They are lower noise - especially if you have your unit connected to a laptop via USB and the Laptop power supply is plugged in.  I had lots of noise that way until I went to XLR cables.

• Upvote 1

I also would recommend using XLR cables to connect to the Presonus monitors. I would not spend a fortune on the cables; just get something mid-range that is well made enough to hold up and high enough quality to carry an intact and relatively noise-free signal. You do not need the platinum-plated, diamond encrusted, Chateau Lafite infused cables unless you are planning to have Lady Gaga in your recording studio and she has demanded them in her rider. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns with cables such that unless you are some kind of audio savant or hyper experienced producer or sound engineer, you will not hear the difference (and maybe not even then). Many reasonably priced cables have adequate durability, shielding, and signal transference.

• Upvote 1

Unlike unbalanced cables, spending more on XLR doesn't usually get you better sound, just better ruggedness.

Get something midrange in just the length you need (not too long, it's super annoying) and you'll be great.

Excellent, thanks for all the replies guys. I will be ordering the Helix tomorrow together with a pair of mid range XLR cables (£18 each).

No doubt I'll be back on here in a weeks time asking basic questions about the Helix!!