Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[Semi-OT] Software devs represent :)

zooey

Is it my imagination, or are there a lot of professional software developers, project managers, etc. here? I'm a developer, have been for a long time, mostly web these days. Just for the halibut, speak up if that's you too.

If so, I wonder why that is. One obvious reason is that you're less likely to be able to buy a Helix if you don't have some sort of "real" job.

But I bet it's also that tech folks are less likely to be put off by this sort of relatively complex and non-organic solution, and more likely to be attracted by its possibilities. That has implications for how Helix is marketed, and its potential market penetration. At this price point, it's never going to be a real mass-market item anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter, just thinking out loud.

There's also the fact that people who have jobs who keep them in front of a computer screen all day are more likely to post on these types of forums...

I'm not a programmer, but I do spend most of my time at work in front of a computer.

• Upvote 1

I'm a dev too - started with Data General stuff using real core memory, none of this new-fangled semiconductor stuff. 4k of memory is quite enough for most things!  As is walking uphill both ways to school in the snow.

But I agree, I think the helix is likely to be bought by more tech-literate people. I know guitarists who take one look at the knobs and displays and think it's going to too complicated. Then they go back to a pedalboard with pedals all over the place just to fit them all on the board, which I'd find more confusing than the Helix. Just depends on what you're used to of course!

Mike

Its because whenever things are looking tricky they start surfing the net and posting on forums.

I remember when there was no net and you used to go have a ciggy and coffee instead (at your desk as well, ah fond memories). Far more healthy work style then in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Started in electronics 70's, then programmer 80's then computer support, project management and web development.

I still have a web development and consulting company we're in the process of re branding at the moment.

I created forums and I generally belong to forums for any subject I have a passion about so I can learn more and then use that knowledge to help others.

Yes, I'm a retired programmer/project manager.  I started off in COBOL, FORTRAN passed through the Pascal, FORTH, 68000 Assembly phase and ended up in the C, C++, VB, HTML era.  So, yeah, I'm not put off by changes in technology.  However, I think things like the Helix or modeling in general appeals to people who tend to embrace change and are enamored by technology.  Their careers may have nothing to do with it.  But I will say that people that are technophobes are typically the ones that struggle the most with this type of change in paradigms.

But my "real" job of being retired doesn't exactly play into your theory of being able to afford something like a Helix.  It's just that I'm really careless with the way I spend money.   :D

Guilty.  Software development, electronics, manufacturing automation, robotics, etc.  Never met a programming language I didn't gel with.  I really like solder, though.  :-)

As comfortable as I am with computers and software, I was mainly drawn to the Helix because of it's tactile UI.  I want real buttons, dials, and switches I can reach out and twist and press.  I hate having to use menus with a smartphone or tablet.  Line 6 really nailed the UI function and form with Helix.

The most critical thing about these fancy pedals is the user interface.  That is where Helix has gone one up on the previous generations.  I too write code for a living and in most cases the user interface is the hardest part of any complex system.  In the case of these modelers, they have to appeal to folks that have not a clue as to how they work.  That means they have to simulate the way we used to connect individual pedals together.  This requires a real good display and user interface.  I have never been able to get used to the smaller display on the HD500x and I have to rely on the editor to make changes.  I look forward to upgrading to Helix very soon.