Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A couple of home made IRs

amsdenj

I tried making a couple of my own speaker IR a couple of weeks ago. These are made in my garage, so there could be some additional "color". I used some blankets in front of and behind the speakers to minimize reflections and reduce the noise. But its not an ideal environment.

I used just two mics, an old SM57 and a AT4047 condenser mic. they are both positioned at cap-edge and about 1.5" from the front of the cabinet grill. That was convenient and easy to setup, and tends to be what I typically pick. I'd use a ribbon mic closer if I had one though.

The first cabinet is an old Fender Bassman 2x12 cabinet with 2 Celestion G12-65 speakers I recently installed. That cabinet has an open back I made to slightly reduce the bass, and provide better room sound for the drummer.

The second cabinet is my friend Nate's early 60's Tremolux which has a closed back, un-ported cabinet. It has the original Oxford 10K5 and is really a wonderful sounding amp and cabinet. I love the bias tremolo!.

Anyway give these a try if you like. They sound pretty good. You can really hear the difference between the open and closed back cabinets.

G12-65 AT4047 cap-edge 1.5 in.wav

G12-65 SM57 cap-edge 1 in.wav

Oxford 10K5 AT4047 cap-edge 1.5 in.wav

Oxford 10K5 SM57 cap-edge 1in.wav

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for taking the time.  I really like these.

I got to play with them for about half an hour tonight and, so far, I really like the way they sound with the Soldano clean channel, the Jazz Rivet, the Fender Twin and the Fender Deluxe.

I tried making a couple of my own speaker IR a couple of weeks ago. These are made in my garage, so there could be some additional "color". I used some blankets in front of and behind the speakers to minimize reflections and reduce the noise. But its not an ideal environment.

I used just two mics, an old SM57 and a AT4047 condenser mic. they are both positioned at cap-edge and about 1.5" from the front of the cabinet grill. That was convenient and easy to setup, and tends to be what I typically pick. I'd use a ribbon mic closer if I had one though.

The first cabinet is an old Fender Bassman 2x12 cabinet with 2 Celestion G12-65 speakers I recently installed. That cabinet has an open back I made to slightly reduce the bass, and provide better room sound for the drummer.

The second cabinet is my friend Nate's early 60's Tremolux which has a closed back, un-ported cabinet. It has the original Oxford 10K5 and is really a wonderful sounding amp and cabinet. I love the bias tremolo!.

Anyway give these a try if you like. They sound pretty good. You can really hear the difference between the open and closed back cabinets.

Thanks for sharing, amsdenj!  I'll try them when I get my Helix next month.