Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just ordered a Helix!

pinoy1

Okay, so today, I decided to go with the Helix (Rack version) instead of the Kemper.  I ordered through GC so I won't probably get it till early next month.  I've had my HD500 for a few years now and I'm ready to move on.  I only play in my bedroom using the headphone or the KRK Rockit5.  But last year I upgraded my FRFR solution using the Matrix GT1000 with the Xitone Cab.  I know, that's too much power for a bedroom play. :)

Anyway, I have over a month to try it and like it.  If not, I would have to go with the Kemper.  

Congratulations!!!   I'm also a non-gigging player who came from the HD500X.  Helix opened up a whole new world to me.

Thanks, DarrellM5!  

" Helix opened up a whole new world to me"... I hope I get the same experience. :)

Congratulations.  I just got my Helix in last week.  Like you I was a HD500X user.

It should be a very easy transition for you.  But I will tell you that you'll have your work cut out for you if you want to evaluate all aspects of the Helix within 30 days.  There's a lot of stuff there.  The good news is you'll immediately feel pretty comfortable with most of the stuff having come from the HD500 environment.

One thing I discovered that you might want to use.  In the Helix you can choose to use either an Amp+Cab block, or separate amp and cab blocks.  I'd highly recommend using separate amp and cab blocks as that will give you the opportunity to so a split between the amp and cab so you can use a second cab block (or IR block) in your mix.  You can get some truly remarkable sounds this way.  Lots of cool variations on this with the flexibility in routing it affords you.

Have fun...

I also just bought Helix and its awesome piece of device !! Its so easy to make presets via helix screen that i dont really need to use edit software at all...only when i import IR:s editor is nice to have. Amazing sounds is pretty easy to create and stock cabs are pretty good but with IR like DunedinDragon said you can create what ever you feel like ! :D 

Congratulations.  I just got my Helix in last week.  Like you I was a HD500X user.

It should be a very easy transition for you.  But I will tell you that you'll have your work cut out for you if you want to evaluate all aspects of the Helix within 30 days.  There's a lot of stuff there.  The good news is you'll immediately feel pretty comfortable with most of the stuff having come from the HD500 environment.

One thing I discovered that you might want to use.  In the Helix you can choose to use either an Amp+Cab block, or separate amp and cab blocks.  I'd highly recommend using separate amp and cab blocks as that will give you the opportunity to so a split between the amp and cab so you can use a second cab block (or IR block) in your mix.  You can get some truly remarkable sounds this way.  Lots of cool variations on this with the flexibility in routing it affords you.

Have fun...

"you'll have your work cut out for you if you want to evaluate all aspects of the Helix within 30 days."  I agree, it's a small window to fully evaluate the Helix but hopefully that's enough for me to decide whether to keep it or not.  Honestly, I have to be really disappointed to even go to the Kemper route.  

" I'd highly recommend using separate amp and cab blocks as that will give you the opportunity to so a split between the amp and cab so you can use a second cab block (or IR block) in your mix. "  Really looking forward on trying this!  

Anyway, thanks for the advice DunedInDragon!  

Like you, have been HD 500 user for a while.  Got a Helix at weekend, plugged in to rokit6 monitors, tried two presets, and was completely happy with the purchase.  I do need to spend some time to build patches though, and haven't tried a Kemper.  I don't think you're going to be disappointed.