Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69S Magnetics vs Fender Strat

In recent years I've played a Mexican deluxe strat and an American 60th Anniversary Strat (still have this one) and the JTV pickups stand up pretty well!  They all have a slightly different sound, as any guitar would, but the pickups themselves sound great.  Throw them in a Fender and no one would bat an eye, I would think.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just want to mention that as far as noiseless goes the JTV 69 pickups are truly noiseless when playing magnetic pickups.

Not for me. They're as noisy as any other single coil I've ever played. Some of that of course can be the room you're in and other sources of 60 cycle hum in the vicinity (ceiling fans, dimmer switches, etc) but silent? Not even close. Now the modeling....THAT'S silent.

• Upvote 1

I agree with cruisinon2, they sound good, but aren't noise free. Neither is my Strat. I had been so spoiled by my lowly Variax 300 since 2005, then picked up an EPI LP, then the JTV-59 with HB's that when I got my 2nd JTV the 69S, the familiar strat tone was back, but so was the hum. After about 3 months, I swapped the JTV's single coils for a set of DiMarzio noisless. NOW it's even quieter than my humbucker guitars. I use my mags on the JTV's probably 80 - 90% of the time.

Dave

Cruisinon and David I truly can state my JTV is absolutely quiet. I would use the very same preset on the Helix, not change the volume anything and then swop the Fender Elite with the JTV 69 and the hum/buzz (granted soft on the strat) is gone on the JTV69, humbucker or single coil at the same volume.

My only real gripe with my JTV is the pathetic tremolo installed on my 2010 model. I understand that in 2011 that tremolo was upgraded.

Trust me I would love my Elite to be the better guitar because it cost me a lot more money, but if I can get a new model tremolo arm for the JTV69 it may well become my favorite and that is playing on the mags!

I should just add that when I compare noise or hum it is purely via 1/4 inch jack on JTV69 straight to same jack into the strat. I do not even have the battery installed. Maybe therein lies the different results mentioned above.

So I would propose to Line 6 to build also a James Tyler 69 (no variax electronics) and install a best top quality tremolo and that could be a very serious guitar at probably a very competitive cost. Maintain the high quality components you use including the high quality volume and tone pots and it will be a winner. 

I have to admit that slightly I prefer the tone from the strats. I have been a strat fanatic all my life and will always have at least 2 of them at all times!

My 69S was purchased in 2012, when they first were offered, and they had fixed the tremolo issues by then. I'm not a trem user, so the quality of the action is not really a factor I can say much about. The issues about it, as I recall were to do with the wiring getting in the way of the action. I have seen replacement trems at fullcompass.com for 69's.

On the SC noise, it wasn't terrible with the stock pu's, just as I'd expect with a strat. It was fine at my house, but had issues at some bars where they had neon beer signs, etc. It was totally my decision to go with noiseless SC's to see how they were. The stock pu's sound was fine. I'd been used to my strat for years, but I'm probably going to replace those as well when I get around to it. Personal preference is all.

Dave

Sorry I should not have posted here. Mine is a JTV (SSH). Not SSS. But it is truly super quiet to the point where on Helix I can switch out the input gate and still no hum and no buzz. Actually unbelievable.

Mine is HSS too...still got noisy single coils, though. But hey, if yours is quiet, then it's quiet. Stranger things have happened. Run with it...

My JTV-69 is S-S-H too

as stated above, you will get typical single coil PU noise when using neck PU only or Mid PU Only - 

Compared to the neck single coil PU, the JTV-69 middle single coil PU is a reverse wound  / reverse polarity , so when both Neck and Middle PU's are engaged ( switch position #2) you get humbucking action - just like all Fender Strats for past 25 years.  

• Upvote 1