Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack Control, worth it?

shawngs

Hey guys, I'm using the Helix Rack with the Fractal Audio MFC-101 as a midi controller. Would it be worth it to purchase the Helix Control to use instead? I've used and love the MFC but I've seen a number of posts about the ease of editing on the Control. Thoughts? Pros? Cons? 

Hey guys, I'm using the Helix Rack with the Fractal Audio MFC-101 as a midi controller. Would it be worth it to purchase the Helix Control to use instead? I've used and love the MFC but I've seen a number of posts about the ease of editing on the Control. Thoughts? Pros? Cons? 

Using the Helix rack without the control would be like eating a steak without a knife and fork, still enjoyable but somewhat frustrating. I would not hesitate, some of Helix' best functions come via the control - scribble strips, touch sensitive switches etc. Just do it.

You can usually find something that works if you look hard enough. But using something that works well and is designed for and is matched with its other pieces is usually the better option. Too bad they all don't follow a standard like midi so that everyone of the boxes would work the same with any piece, but then again what would be the fun in that?  :P   ;)

Thanks for the replies! When I first got the rack I spent several hours setting up the pedalboard to control the rack the way that I wanted. It works great but is not good for quickly making adjustments on the fly. I play at church and many times there is a particular sound that needs to be quickly dialed in. Since I'm "all digital" I can't just reach down and twist a knob on an effects pedal, but also, I've spent far more $$ on guitar gear than I probably should have given my skill (or income) level….

All pros, no cons. You'll get a ton of new features, everything will be way easier to use, you can edit with your feet, the skies will open up and death metal unicorns will trumpet your arrival...

Plus, future Helix Rack features may assume you have Helix Control anyway.

I actually have had an MFC-101 before getting the Helix Rack and Controller.  I would hold off on getting the rack controller until L6 has implemented 'switch grouping' which to me is badly needed due to preset switching latency on the Helix.  The MFC is good but somewhat limited as far as the number of CC messages per channel sent per IA switch.  I've actually been looking in to a mid-size RJM MMGT or mid-size FAMC but I have not pulled the trigger as I'm waiting to see if L6 can implement it within the next few months or so.