Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mid focus eq makes tone more bass heavy when placed after amp

Onomatopoeia

Hello!

I have a dual amp set up clean/dirty for bass with a mid focus eq after each amp for low pass filter. For a while i thought this patch sounded awesome (atleast in my headphones) but today when trying to record something i realized that it is "missing" some top end and instead really bass heavy (not in the good way). So after some experimenting I found that this issue dissapeared when instead placing the mid focus after the mixer. Why does it do that? I would leave it after the mixer but that would defeat the whole purpose of having one after each amp... any help please?

The only thing that comes to mind why this occurs would be phase issues caused by processing delays?

Also, keep in mind that your hearing can change from day to day for a multitude of reasons. Happens to me all time where I think a tone I made sounds good one day but the next day - or more rarely week(s) - later I suddenly notice something I don't like and wonder what I thinking at the time when I thought it sounded good.

And to take things a step further, sometimes I don't do anything about a tone that I suddenly notice 'went bad'. The next day it sounds fine. Damn inconsistencies in the human machine.

The only thing that comes to mind why this occurs would be phase issues caused by processing delays?

Also, keep in mind that your hearing can change from day to day for a multitude of reasons. Happens to me all time where I think a tone I made sounds good one day but the next day - or more rarely week(s) - later I suddenly notice something I don't like and wonder what I thinking at the time when I thought it sounded good.

And to take things a step further, sometimes I don't do anything about a tone that I suddenly notice 'went bad'. The next day it sounds fine. Damn inconsistencies in the human machine.

Yup. All of that...let's face it, the gear (baring a major malfunction) isn't gonna change from day to day. Pull up a saved patch, and it's exactly the same as it was the last time you loaded it up. Brains however, are weird...and famously unpredictable.

Haha true and I'm a bit OCD about that stuff! Started to move things around and now I'm leaning towards a phase issue like you said. Line 6 messed up real bad with their signal path routing for dual amp stuff....