Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Whammy changing tone

gmguitar1

Hi All,

Has anybody had any experience with the Whammy effect drastically altering the tone on a patch. I have it set up just to do dive bombs with the expression pedal, but when it's engaged, the tone completely changes. It becomes more treble and thin and it doesn't cut through as good. I never had this issue with the Whammy on the HD 500 so i'm not sure what the story is. The only thing it's displacing is the Wah in my effects chain. 

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any way around it barring setting up an EQ to counteract it(not too convenient :-/)

Thanks

I think I have noticed something similar. Noticeable but subtle. Thinness and trebly describe it pretty well. I'll add a bit of phasing in there too, which might be what's causing the lack of bass. I haven't used it for dive bombs, but the other way, going up an octave, and gradually fading it in with the dry signal.

This is one of the few effects I prefer from the HD. The HD pitch glide seems to track better as well.

Hey Guys, thanks for the suggestions. No, the whammy is the only control on the Expression pedal and it replaced the Wah in my signal chain, so it's not that. (Would've been a rookie mistake :) )

I've tried building a patch from scratch with just an amp and the Whammy to rule out any weird conflict with Overdrives/Eq etc but it still changes the tone fairly drastically. 

I'd be in the same boat in that it's pretty much the only effect where I feel the HD was better. I'm not sure how to get around this...

I'd be in the same boat in that it's pretty much the only effect where I feel the HD was better. I'm not sure how to get around this...

Could get a real one. Or hook the HD in Helix. Or get an M5 to hook into Helix. Or do what I did and just say f*ck it, and take your frustration out on the next person you meet. Lol.

Could get a real one. Or hook the HD in Helix. Or get an M5 to hook into Helix. Or do what I did and just say f*ck it, and take your frustration out on the next person you meet. Lol.

I'm trying for an all in one kind of thing with the Helix. I used to hook up a Backstair HT dual for OD on the Pod HD. Too many wires haha. 

I'm trying for an all in one kind of thing with the Helix. I used to hook up a Backstair HT dual for OD on the Pod HD. Too many wires haha. 

Yep. Same here. I don't like the idea of all kinds of appendages hanging everywhere. Defeats the purpose of Helix a bit, despite the marketing of Line 6 saying it's the center piece of a rig.

Can you show us a picture of your screen on the Helix or in the editor?  Maybe a before and after?  Also, are you using it before or after the amp?

I always like to use the Whammy before the amp and when it is engaged but at Minimum setting (not effecting the pitch) there is a tiny delay but no change in the tone. 

I also use FS11 to turn on the whammy and I keep the exp pedal set at minimum.  That way I am always starting from the regular pitch rather than from the maximum pitch.  Try using a footswitch instead of the toe switch and also set the pedal at minimum when you save the patch.  The Helix actually remembers where the exp pedal starts and when you turn the whammy on it will start there.

Can you show us a picture of your screen on the Helix or in the editor?  Maybe a before and after?  Also, are you using it before or after the amp?

I always like to use the Whammy before the amp and when it is engaged but at Minimum setting (not effecting the pitch) there is a tiny delay but no change in the tone. 

I also use FS11 to turn on the whammy and I keep the exp pedal set at minimum.  That way I am always starting from the regular pitch rather than from the maximum pitch.  Try using a footswitch instead of the toe switch and also set the pedal at minimum when you save the patch.  The Helix actually remembers where the exp pedal starts and when you turn the whammy on it will start there.

I'll get a picture when i'm back at the house. I have it before the amp in the signal chain. I should have clarified that I have the Whammy engaged on the patch at all times, I don't have it set to a control or the expression pedal toe.