Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting A Floor Pod Plus To An Amp

I put a question to the forum 2 days ago about connecting a 'Floor POD Plus' (FPP) to a Line 6 Spider II amp & I got NO replies at ALL. I can't believe that their was nobody out there who could help me, it's just unbelievable, it would mean that all the FPP users out there only use headphones & have NEVER EVER

plugged the FPP onto their amp, surely that can't be correct?

So has anybody conneted their FPP to their amp & if so did you have to make any adjustments to the amp's settings in order to stop the amps tonal settings clashing with the FPP tonal settings?

P L E A S E can somebody help me.

Hi

Thanks for coming back with a reply, I didn't mean to offend anyone by my question but I honestly thought that being a 'Line 6 Forum' their would be thousands of people who have used/using the Line 6 Floor POD Plus and therefore I would be inundated with answers to my question, instead I got none apart from yours, which seems impossible to swallow. With regards to 'the forums only have users' that is precisely the person I'm looking for to answer my question. I just hope I get some more reply's otherwise I'm truly stuck. I've decided to send my question to Line 6 experts in an attempt to get an answer.

I doubt you offended anybody, and I'm sure plenty of people have connected their FPP into their Spider Valve II, they just aren't frequenting the forums.

And like Zap I have no experience with your specific setup.

Does the Spider Valve II have an effects loop?

Can you disable AMP/CAB sims on the FPP?

If so you could try throwing the FPP in the effect loop, this would bypass the SV's preamp.

Or you could try and dial in the cleanest most neutral flat setting on the amp.

While I do not have hands-on experience with this combination, I would start by putting the output on the FPP in "AMP" mode.  I would then look for the cleanest possible setting on the S2.  Start with all tone controls at 12:00 and adjust from there.  Tweak until you get tone that sounds useable.

Hi Guys

Before I start I'll explain my intended goals and what I wanted to achieve, the reason for this is that I don't think everybody fully understood my intentions ( I've just been conversing with one of the experts. @ Line6 & I'm not to sure he grasped the plot. So again apologies if I step on anybodies toes, I don 't wish to offend anyone especially those who do understand me.

I already owned a Line 6 Spider II 30Watt amp & had a large pedal board with many pedals on it Sustain, Delay, EQ, Chorus etc. which I used to reset each time I wanted to play music by one of my favourite guitar players, ie: Santana, Clapton, Page etc. it was very time consuming having to reset the pedals after each track, I really wished for something faster. It was then that I heard about the 'Floor POD Plus' (FPP). I was told I could do away with all my FX pedals completely, all I would need to do was create separated patches of all my favourite artists, then for each track I just called up the particular saved patch & this would set up the sound correct for the artist ie. The Shadows it would call up the 'Modern Class A' which would be a VOX AC15 together with some high treble, Reverb & Delay this would then give me in seconds the correct setting I required for a Shadows track I wanted to play. To be able to hear my chosen track I was playing required one of two methods to be used. Method1, privately, just plug my guitar & headphones into the FPP & play away. Method2, which was my preferred method, was to plug my guitar into the FPP (so I could use my created patches) then plug the FPP into my Line 6 Spider II as per the FPP instructions. But all Method2 gave me was some truly terrible sounds. As if the Spider II amp was trying to compete with the FPP! And that is my problem, how do I use Method 2 my FPP thro' my amp? Certainly the FPP Pilot's Guide doesn't mention anything about a conflict of sounds when it refers to plugging the FPP into the Line 6 Spider II 30Watt amp or any make of amp for that matter! Please can you see my problem & find a way to help me solve it successfully.

Triryche

Thanks for pulling me back I wasn't looking at the bigger picture (blinkered by my own problems)

With regards to disabling the AMP/CAB on the FPP that would defeat my objectives of being able call up a patch of the artist I wish sound like. Unfortunately the Spider II amp doesn't have an FX Loop. So I think the way forward is to try and create a 'Clean Channel' although how I have no idea !

BigChase52

I do have the Output on the FPP in "AMP" mode. Like I have just said, I think your right to look for the cleanest possible setting on the S2.

Although how I'm not really sure.

You state, start with the Tone controls setting them at 12:00 and then adjust & tweak from there until you get the tone that sounds correct.

What do you do with the 'Drive & Master' controls ? Would you then make sure all the FX knobs are off.

1.  Pick the "Clean" setting on the S2

2.  Set all of the tone controls except "Master" to 12:00 (Use the master to control overall volume)

3.  Turn off ALL S2 effects

4.  Tweak the Bass, Mid, and Treble controls until you get something that you like.

Note, this is less than ideal.  You are piling an amp sim from your FPP on top of an amp sim on your S2.  Ideally, you want to use the FPP into a PA system, or monitors.  (In a pinch, computer speakers work pretty well)

As BigChas points and and you are already experiencing, is the sim on sim confuddlement.

Since you are accustomed to a pedalboard going into the front of your amp, if you are able to disable the amp and cab sim on the FPP, then you would essentially be using the FPP in place of your pedal board, but with the convenience of calling up your patches. So basically the FPP would function as stomps and effects into the front of your amp.

Hi Guys

Well with all your help I have finally cracked it & everything now works as it should perfectly. I decided to take BigChas52's advice and create a Clean Channel. I set everything up as advised, but it still didn't seem right. I decided to investigate more thoroughly & not take anything for granted. Suddenly it became absolutely clear, starring me, right in the face, what an absolute DIV, I'd only gone & plugged the cable that ran from the FPP to the S2 into the RIGHT socket on the back of the FPP. This socket is reserved for when you want to run a stereo cable, for normal MONO connection you should ONLY use the LEFT socket! There was no excuse accept, when I originally went to plug the cable in, I'd bent over the front & I never even noticed the left socket at all as only the right socket had a chrome ring around it which made it stand out. So their you have it Guys something really simple in the end. I'm really sorry if I led you all a bit of a dance, but without all your help it might have taken ages to find the problem. So again thanks, it's good to talk and especially to share ideas between people, that way throwing your problems into the melting pot forces you to retrain your movements & thouroughly check what you have before taken for granted, so again many thanks and I hope I can be of assistance to you guys sometime.

Hi Guys

PPS After posting my reply 2 things sprang to mind.

1) I saw a picture of the rear of the FPP & it showed the 2 sockets in question LEFT & RIGHT OUT TO AMP as both having chrome rings around the entrance, I bought my FPP second hand & never noticed it was missing.

2) I involved Line 6 themselves in this problem how come they never suggested what I had found about plugging into the wrong socket, interesting?

Thanks again.