Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Variax 700 electric died.

I only have batteries in it, I never owned the other connector. I play it mostly for the 12 string acoustic sound. Played it about 3 weeks ago and it was fine. Now it's dead. Tried 6 new AA batteries, tried a fresh 9V and nothing. Took it to my friends mom and pop music and he tested it and said I'm getting power to the board and that's all.

I read several threads about burn spots on the board but mine is as clean as can be. I have no idea....any help fellas? 

:wacko:

Hi Frankie_G.

I had the same problems but I succeeded in solving them. I unscrewed the connection cover and discovered that one plug (the electric one) was unplugged, due to the fact that its cable is a bit short. So I plugged it, and now the guitar sounds perfectly.
If your guitar is no longer under warranty, as I suppose, try and check the cables: unplug and replug them, and then let us know :-).

IMHO

M

• Upvote 1

Can you post some links to the threads about burned circuit boards? I can't seem to locate them. I have a Variax 500 PCB that burned where the power connects due to reverse polarity. fried the diode and maybe a resistor on the opposite side of the board.

Any ideas if replacing these components will revive the circuit?

Also wondering if you can post some photographs of your Variax 700 circuitry. How the components are connected together. 

I am pretty sure you can replace the diode and fix a reverse polarity failure on a 500 board.  The diode is there to take the hit if you reverse the polarity.  This is a very common failure on the older Variax because you can easily try to plug in the battery backwards.  It won't plug that way but it will make contact and fry the diode.  I make triple sure I have my glasses on and I have plenty of light when I change the battery on my 500.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody had issues with the 700 suddenly starting to go in and out, almost like a tremolo sound? It's happened twice at gigs now months apart. I realized that both gigs were outside and temps in the high 80's/low 90's . Luckily, I had my back up 700, and this one functioned fine. After it happened the first time, I didn't try to play it for awhile, but when I finally pulled it out to take it in for repair, it played fine for about 10 days, now it's happening again. Ideas? (I did take it in to the authorized repair center, but since they couldn't replicate the problem a few weeks ago, they couldn't help me.)