Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

URGENT need cab model suggestions

sreas2

Hello all,

At the moment I run my Pod HD Pro X through a ISP Stealth power amp into a harley benton closed back 2x12 loaded with vintage 30 speakers.

For rehearsals/local gigs this setup is perfect but in a month I'll be hitting the road and cant take the whole setup with me, just the pod to run di.

I use the BF Double Nrm on all my patches with the cab sim turned off, what cab/mic sim combo would work best for getting a similar tone to my irl cab?

Hoping some Pod guru's can lend me some valuable information.

TIA

Almost impossible to answer, unfortunately. Moving from a traditional guitar cab to running straight to the PA generally requires quite a bit of tweaking...and the mic/cab models that gives you the tone you want won't necessarily be similar to the "real" stuff in your rig, or be the "obvious" choices. There are a couple of 2x12 cab models in there, so you could start there...but you could easily find that the giant 4x12 XXL model gives you what you want. Same goes for the mics...you might have been using a 57 to mic your cabs on stage your whole life, but that one might not work for you with this application. The modeling world gets weird...trying out various combos is really the only way to find out.

Here's exactly what I would do.

Either borrow, or buy with a 30 or 60 day return policy, some type of decent powered monitor.  Something in the range of a Yamaha or QSC as these will be the most likely to match the general attributes of most FOH systems.  If you get your patches sounding right on one of those you'll be good to go for the tour.

Will you be using the same PA every night?  If you are than a side by side comparison should be able to nail just about everything but the room effect itself.  I took the leap of going direct but I own the PA so I was able to plug in direct and tweak until I got what I needed.  Sounds fantastic, but I have all of the control.  When you start using other PA's and sound guys you are at the mercy of the equipment they have and the sound guys abilities or lack there of. Ran into one guy, he told right out didn't care for direct to board, put no effort into it, he was surprised by the end of the night of how little he had to do.