Very cool! Thanks for sharing the pic

#43 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

all of your transplants i've ever seen look great!

this is no exception.

9374578508_7b11652efa.jpg
purpleJTV69 by toasterdude, on Flickr

#44 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

this is no exception.

Thanks. This one is technically not a transplant. I bought a LPB 69 and then found a black 69 empry body on ebay. I was using the LPB one while traveling and waiting for my tele to be done so instead of taking the LPB apart I sent the bare black body off to be refinished. Then I just dropped it off to GuitarTex in san antonio where john did the assembly, pickguard and installed warmoth neck.

I now have the original LPB body, neck, pickguard and pickups. I also have a 69 main board from ebay. All I need is a bridge that will work and the pots/harness from a 69 and I can put the LPB 69 back together.

BTW, I totally cheat with xplants. I order warmoth bodies and necks and pay Guitartex to build em. Guys like Jeff Miller and Midirose were doing real transplants themselves. I wish I had that patience and skill!!!! Also the chops of either of those guys would be great!

#45 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

this is no exception.

Oh yeah. . . .the next one will also be cool. . .  .and purple;-)

Warmoth Firebird Body in Purple Frost with 3 pickup tele wiring scheme and warmoth flame maple tele neck. Fralin tele bridge, strat middle and lolar Firebird neck pickup. Need to call Guitartex to see if they received the Lollar yet!

#46 stevekc

stevekc

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Very cool guitar!

#47 rchibnik

rchibnik

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

I give my JTV89K in blood red a five out of five.

I got it at a discount from zzounds - restock saved me $200 over the regular price. 

Setup and finish was spot on. Had an issue with the battery which L6 replaced promptly, no questions asked.

I use it with my HD500 (also a restock at a 20% discount) and my DT25 which I got a crazy good price on.

Before this I tried a ton of modeling amps, tube amps, pedals, tone pedals, etc. The dream rig gives me a ton of sounds and flexibility in a relatively straight forward package. The HD500 takes a bit of time to learn, but there are a ton of resources including this forum, customtone and a bunch of third party support (vetaville, meambobo)

I dont know why everyone doesn't play a JTV.

#48 swing_girl

swing_girl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

i thought i was the only one loving the upgraded 400.... man that thing is so sweet....

certainly still a bit of a niche... (ain't gonna be doing many rock tunes on it)

but out standing.

I am primarily a jazz player so the hollowbody models are useful for me.  Before the HD upgrade, I could not use the Super 400 model at all as it was too bassy and percussive and totally unlike an archtop jazz guitar.  With the new update, I can get a workable sound from it and I am very happy about it.  Still, both jazzbox models lack the woody sound from a hollow body.

#49 enghell666

enghell666

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Just got my first Variax yesterday and while it's really too early to actually say anything about, I still want to.

It's a black JTV-89, Korea made and since it's so ridiclously cheap (5799 Skr= $890) and it was so easy to install the USB thing, the new v2.0 Firmware, adjusting the bridge for a little lower action AND the sound, I still have to give it a 4,5/5. It's an amazing piece of technology. It's not a metal axe, but I've got other guitars for that, and it's not a top notch premium guitar when it comes to details and so, still the neck is really nice (bought this one without trying it, tried the 69, but hated the neck), and for the tone palette, it's just awesome. :)

#50 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

I personally also like having the mags for the simple reason that they make the Variax look like a "real" guitar. I always kind of disliked the look of the original Variaxes because of that. I know that's kind of a vanity thing, but I guess we're all vain in one way or another.

the world is beautiful because it is varied
I think exactly the opposite

I prefer the look of a 700 without pups, is one of the characteristics that make it unique in appearance as it is unique in its functioning..
many spectators have asked me informations about this instrument really intrigued from its original appearance as well as for the variety of good sounds..

the jtv imo looks a lot more common and anonymous, is a Variax hidden in a normal guitar (with a ugly headstock)..

the 700 is a pure Variax in concept and appearance and this is what I like .. I hope that future Variax guitars will return to be as unique as before

and also the money you pay to have useless pups into the jtv is value subtracted from the rest of the instrument quality (lutherie) since it costs about the same if not less than a new (discontinued) 700

imo a variax shouldn't need pups as a pod shouldn't need valves since their purpose is to recreate them and in some cases invent them digitally in a total different way, and that thing should be very clear and not hidden..

if as an example I play an acoustic model with a perfect looking electric guitar, someone could suspect I'm not really playing and I am just in playback, but if they see that I play a new type of guitar never seen before they could think: wow!.. look at that new strange guitar!.. not electric and not acoustic looking but it can do a lot of cool sounds.. let us give a more close look!

the Variax and Pod are new generation instruments and not just tricks to be hidden

#51 enghell666

enghell666

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

imo a variax shouldn't need pups as a pod shouldn't need valves since their purpose is to recreate them and in some cases invent them digitally in a total different way, and that thing should be very clear and not hidden..

I get what you're saying but I still don't get why you're saying it. I didn't buy a JTV because of the pickups in it, but as a backup if the battery fails (not everybody is using a HD500 either) (or if the electronics fail) while you're on stage and instead of standing there with a piece of silent wood, you've still got a guitar to finish the gig with minus some options of course. I've seen this comment before about how useless the pickups are, see them as a backup instead of some sort of main feature.

And to be honest, I thought all the pre-JTV Variaxes just looked weird and kinda ugly because of the lack of pickups. :P

#52 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

...but I still don't get why you're saying it...

I was simply friendly replying to phil_m previous comment with my opinion

...I didn't buy a JTV because of the pickups in it, but as a backup if the battery fails (not everybody is using a HD500 either) (or if the electronics fail) while you're on stage and instead of standing there with a piece of silent wood, you've still got a guitar to finish the gig with minus some options of course. I've seen this comment before about how useless the pickups are, see them as a backup instead of some sort of main feature...

sure your point makes sense, but personally I would prefer the cost for having also pups to be used instead to get even better quality guitar materials and workmanship..

And to be honest, I thought all the pre-JTV Variaxes just looked weird and kinda ugly because of the lack of pickups. :P

of course everyone is entitled to their opinion
the lack of pickups is just one of those things that I like in a Variax
;)

#53 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5273 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

and also the money you pay to have useless pups into the jtv is value subtracted from the rest of the instrument quality (lutherie) since it costs about the same if not less than a new (discontinued) 700

I don't think the magnetic pickups are useless, though. I still use them sometimes. There are still a few things that you can do with real magnetic pickups that you can't do as well with the piezos. Generating feedback is one of them (although you can actually generate feedback with piezos, it's just not quite the same). Another one if you're doing very percussive Edge-like delays, I still think the mags have a slight edge (and, to be honest with the 2.0, the difference is very minor). But mainly, it's just the extra peace of mind knowing that you have a backup ready if you need it.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#54 enghell666

enghell666

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

I was simply friendly replying to phil_m previous comment with my opinion

sure your point makes sense, but personally I would prefer the cost for having also pups to be used instead to get even better quality guitar materials and workmanship..

of course everyone is entitled to their opinion
the lack of pickups is just one of those things that I like in a Variax
;)

All good, mate. :)

Oh, and I was going to add that I bought my JTV purely for recording with and adding a different tone palette, so I will probably never use the pickups in mine, since I've got other guitars with better pickups for what I'm doing, so for myself I could definitely go without having any pickups at all.

Edited by enghell666, 24 August 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#55 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

.. But mainly, it's just the extra peace of mind knowing that you have a backup ready if you need it...

I clearly see your main point..

a peace of mind a bit product expensive in my opinion, but I can understand it..

in any case, at first I was just commenting your aesthetic considerations

#56 totoleheron

totoleheron

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I would give a 3.
They are close to the real deal but not spot on.
By the way there are still some strange noises.

http://line6.com/sup...igh-gain-issue/

I found that the bridge mag pickup is really close to the lester bridge model. Is it normal?
(i like the guitar)

#57 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

i love having the pickups... having said that i'd also love to see a budget version sort of like the old 300, with a mode basic pickup free lower priced guitar.... heck even gibson has the melody maker...

maybe trim it down like the 300 with no alt tune knob etc but still capable through software etc... you know trim down whatever to get a 500$ model out there...

just saying the more people who have some sort of variax, the better long term support etc is for the whole line.....

#58 totoleheron

totoleheron

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

I would like to be able to buy the same guitar (JTV89) without modeling options, just the mag pickup. :)

#59 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

you can probably partner up with someone looking to make a transplant and make that happen...

unlikely it will happen through line6... and James Tyler's version is a little different:

http://www.tylerguit...ate-weapon.aspx

and likely way more expensive.

I would like to be able to buy the same guitar (JTV89) without modeling options, just the mag pickup. :)

#60 totoleheron

totoleheron

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

I know. Good idea for the transplant. :)

you can probably partner up with someone looking to make a transplant and make that happen...

unlikely it will happen through line6... and James Tyler's version is a little different:

http://www.tylerguit...ate-weapon.aspx

and likely way more expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users