Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Worbench HD says my Variax is not connected

I have Workbench HD ver. 2.12, Line6 Monkey ver 1.72, an updated Line 6 usb interface, & the latest firmware for my JTV VARIAX, & Workbench HD still says my guitar is 'not connected' even after rescanning….help!

Have you registered the guitar with line6?

I think maybe I remember something about having to register the product first?

I could be mistaken though

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that's the case. Most people never bother to register the stuff they buy. In fact, with the exception of a pricey laptop, I can't think of hardly any other electronic device or appliance that I've ever bothered to register...unless I actually needed service.

And making registration a requirement in order to access the basic functionality of a product is not exactly what I'd call "user friendly".

Just thought of something else it might be,

You need a regular guitar cable plugged into the variax while you are connected to the pc.

It acts like a dummy plug and wakes up the electronic circuitry in the guitar.

Sorry for the vagueness of my help , it's been a while since I connected to workbench and my memory of it is a little hazy

• Like 1

Yeah that's exactly what made me think registering was a requirement as like you , I never register anything but my line 6 stuff is registered so they must have made me do it lol

Lol...

You do need to have an account to download software, but I think that's as far as it goes.

The power supply for my lithium battery charger wasn't included with my jtv69…partly why I bought the A/B power kit….the store ordered one, along with a cap that was missing from the jtv's model selector knob….over to you, Line6... 

I have Workbench HD ver. 2.12, Line6 Monkey ver 1.72, an updated Line 6 usb interface, & the latest firmware for my JTV VARIAX, & Workbench HD still says my guitar is 'not connected' even after rescanning….help!

The power supply for my lithium battery charger wasn't included with my jtv69…partly why I bought the A/B power kit….the store ordered one, along with a cap that was missing from the jtv's model selector knob….over to you, Line6...

Since you didn't get the battery charger power supply I'm wondering if you got the correct USB interface package. Are you sure it's OK?

I know that the guitar was made in Dec. 2015…the usb interface is black plastic, & sez 'Variax In' on the input…not sure how to test it…when plugged in to my Mac Mini a green light is on & a red light blinks…If I don't get the power supply from Line6 soon, I will go shopping for a compatible replacement wallwart…thanks for your help...

• 2 weeks later...

According to Line6 Monkey, all my firmare /devices are up to date….my Variax is on, with charged battery installed, guitar functions through amp…according to Workbench HD, it recognizes a usb connection, but says ESN  - None…. Monkey has no mention of Variax being connected or wether Variax needs an update….Could it be the VDI Cable?

PROBLEMS SOLVED!...  My VDI cable is faultry…replaced it with an Ethernet cable with the same exact specs, which should be OK to use from now on…it's gonna hafta be, because the old one is well, faulty….I was able to update my Variax Firmware also, which gets me into Workbench HD……..FINALLY….I haven't had to jump through so many hoops to get a product up & running as I have with this product…just sayin'…..Anyway, A BIG THANKS to everyone in this forum for your help! 

One caution about using a standard Ethernet cable long term - it may cause damage to the Variax VDI connection/jack. The VDI cable includes protective housing on the end that results in a more stable and secure connection where the cable end will not move in the socket. A standard Ethernet cable is unshielded at the end and the connection will be loose. The resulting movement of the cable in the connector will, over time, bend the wires in the Variax jack and cause the connection to fail. This may also require an expensive repair to your Variax.

Hi Silverhead….thanks for the heads up….I am using Staples brand CAT5e Networking cable, which has a similar housing to the Line6 cable, only it's made of rubber…I just tested both in the guitar, and the Staples cable appears to be just as stable as the Line6…thanks for your help

Hi Silverhead….thanks for the heads up….I am using Staples brand CAT5e Networking cable, which has a similar housing to the Line6 cable, only it's made of rubber…I just tested both in the guitar, and the Staples cable appears to be just as stable as the Line6…thanks for your help

Trust me when I tell you that if you use that on stage, eventually something is gonna get destroyed...cable, jack or both. It it never leaves the house, and you're always motionless in a chair when you play, you might get away with it for a while...but it's not gonna survive gigging.

• 10 months later...

PROBLEMS SOLVED!...  My VDI cable is faultry…replaced it with an Ethernet cable with the same exact specs, which should be OK to use from now on…it's gonna hafta be, because the old one is well, faulty….I was able to update my Variax Firmware also, which gets me into Workbench HD……..FINALLY….I haven't had to jump through so many hoops to get a product up & running as I have with this product…just sayin'…..Anyway, A BIG THANKS to everyone in this forum for your help! 

I had the exact same issue and couldn't figure out why the Variax in port on the USB interface was blinking red when everything was connected properly.  Tried a 3 foot Ethernet cable and was able to update the firmware.  I have a standard Variax cable for performing so durability isn't an issue.  Thanks!