Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix common troubleshooting steps.

Lachdanan0121

I thought this could be a troubleshooting steps thread that we can all post what we had problems with, and how we fixed them.

I had bad popping and crackling when using my Helix rack as audio interface. Drivers up to date. ASIO set correctly. My Eleven rack doesnt have this problem when I A/B the two units.

I actually narrowed the problem down to old bad cables I had from my mission exp pedal going into the Helix floor controller. Disconnected those cables and ALL popping and crackling stopped with my Helix. I was so relieved. So if you guys have any poppingor crackling, you might want to check this.

I am waiting on 2 more cables to get in to seeif it was the cables or the ep pedal itself. Either way its better than the Helix itself.

IMPORTANT EDIT:

I am still running into the popping and crackling issue like I was before. Although it isn't as much as it was before to be fair.

This is after completely disconnecting my floor controller from my Helix Rack. So I am still going through some more trouble shooting steps of my own before I create another thread about it, or contact Sweetwater for a replacement.

EDIT #2. I have since narrowed the problem down to usb 2.0. When I plugged it into a 3.0 slot it works just fine. I dont think it is a problem with the usb 2.0 persay, its just I had almost all of my 2.0 slots occupied on my pc, and hardly none in my usb 3.0.

Which leads me to think it was my usb 2.0 on my pc was stretced too thin to accommodate an 8 in 8 out interface on top of all of it comfortably. No matter it is all working good now. I will only edit this if something changes.

• Upvote 1

Great thread!

An oldie but a goodie...

When tracking down buzz / hum in Helix that only occurred while at home, I plugged in headphones to troubleshoot since they are not powered by an outlet.  

Unplugged cables one at a time until the noise stopped.  Turned out to be the USB cable to my computer.  

I know folks have seen me bounce this one around quite a bit but if you are having issues with the Helix locking up or the Editor not starting, or starting and crashing immediately, it may be related to a few particular presets that come up with a "Rebuilding.." message when the Helix boots. Using the workaround in the link below may fix the issue for you. If any preset seems to consistently be involved with lockups or editor crashes you should probably change any parameter in the preset, however slightly, and then save the preset again, even if the preset does not come up in the "Rebuilding.." message on boot.

http://line6.com/support/topic/20454-grid-for-getting-rid-of-the-preset-rebuild-messages-on-boot-in-latest-firmware-1120/?hl=grid

• 1 year later...

Thank you for pointing me at the presets... I was wondering why Helix Editor crashes, and it was related to a preset were I set the cab parameters (mic and level) to be snapshot controlled.

1. This does not work, you cannot create snapshots with different mics.

2. It crashes helix editor!