#1 jamesnlcc1

jamesnlcc1

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Still not finding a good overdrive pedal that doesn't get fuzzy.  Looking for a U2 rock-like tone.

Thoughts?

#2 pianoguyy

pianoguyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:06 AM

Isn't the very point of overdrive to make the sound fuzzy?

And it sure would be nice if I could use 500edit on my Android Phone or Android Tablet to manage my Pod when not at home.

Even if it needs to be a '500 Lite' version that only allows for the import and export of patches, and not a full-fledged working program.

Something needs done. 

#3 AlexKenivel

AlexKenivel

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

No silly, that's what the fuzz pedals are for. Overdrives are for making the sound overdriven

#4 jvrock84

jvrock84

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationBrea, California

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

Instead of using a PEDAL, try to use the CLASS A-30 Model AMP with the GAIN knob at 100%. Believe me. 

Fender American Special HSS custom / Fender American Standard Telecaster / Epiphone ES 339 Pro / Variax 300 / Marshall MG series 100W / Orange Crush 35rt / Pod HD 500x  / M5 / 4 cable method

I speak Spanish also

#5 brue58ski

brue58ski

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts
  • Registered Products:13

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:17 AM

Instead of using a PEDAL, try to use the CLASS A-30 Model AMP with the GAIN knob at 100%. Believe me. 

And if that isn't enough overdrive, try a Screamer (the TS-808) in front of the amp with the Drive all the way down and use the Output to push the amp more a la Stevie Ray Vaughn to name one.

#6 sidroe

sidroe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMacon, Georgia

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

I tend not to use the overdrive pedals but just set the amp as if I were using the natural output distortion of the amp. I don't do much shred or metal. Mostly, classic rock, blues and jazz projects. The overdriven amp sim to my ear is worlds better than sticking a fizzy sounding overdrive or distortion box in front of an amp. Besides, that leaves one more blank block to fill in with another effect box. LOL!

#7 Indianrock2020

Indianrock2020

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:10 AM

I agree about the value of the amp model's tone, but if you're using that for crunch rhythm and then want a boost on solo, place the OD effect in front of the amp ( or amps ), then put a parametric EQ right after the OD and use it to notch out fizzy tones.

You'll wind up with the parametric "Q" at about 3 o'clock, gain at 9 o'clock ( low )   and the frequency ( percentage ) probably between 50 and 65%

#8 AlexKenivel

AlexKenivel

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

Screamer, tube drive, occasionally the buzz saw or facial fuzz. Ive stacked drives, too

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: distortion, overdrive, fuzz, rock, u2