Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M5 Midi problem/questions

macjohn

I just got a Boss Es-5 since it could control patch selection via midi. However, no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get a program to change on the M5.

In troubleshooting, I've tested the midi out works as I've backed up my patches in a sysex file. However, when I load the file using midi-ox, it shows it loads but nothing shows on the M5 to indicate it is receiving and when I power off/on, I don't see my restored patches (I did a factory reset after backing up).

I've hooked another midi controlled device up to the midi out of the M5 (and to the in of the other pedal) and when I change patches in the M5, it changes patches 1-24 of the slave device.

So, midi out is working fine (I think). I've also tested the ES-5 and found it can control a Boss ME-5 and Digitech Whammy DT without any issues. For some reason, I just can't make it control the M5. I've also tried numerous cables. I feel like I'm overlooking something simple, or... my unit is defective.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

2 things:

- put the m5 in Omni to rule out mismatched midi channel.

- the program change also uses a memory location with it. Like Bank/Patch. What memory address and program change are you sending? I wonder if the other device is sending a program change but not the bank etc. The table of midi addresses and CCs is in the user guide.

• Upvote 1

In troubleshooting last night, I found the midi in was not consistently working.  After taking the cover off and spraying some deoxit in the midi in port, I was able to get my PC to restore my patches from the sysex file via midiox.  I then put it back together and hooked it back up to my controller... nothing.  Then back to the PC... nothing.  So I took it back apart and tested continuity between each of the pins and where it appears those pins are attached to the board.  I was getting inconsistent results.

I heated up (with a soldering iron) the solder around the offending pins and added a tiny bit more solder to make sure their connections were solid.  I then put everything back together and it seems to be working.

Another thing (may or may not have anything to do with it) that I did in this process is reattach the bottom screws.  I had removed them because they were interfering with where I had this on my pedalboard.  I've read about some issues with the M5 and grounding and those screws being important to the whole thing.  So it may have been a loose connection or a grounding problem... but for now, it's working.  I'm really afraid to touch it though...

• 9 months later...

My M9 and Boss ES-5 is a disaster. I've followed every instruction in the M9 Advanced guide and ES-5 guide. The CC#'s don't work properly and when in memory mode on the es-5 my effects are never saved on the M9. If anyone has clear instructions please share! The M9 is a great all in one box but it may not be compatible for midi preset patches like I'm hoping. If it is though its the most confusing set up..