Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Helix Help.

optimus_7

Fellow String Slingers...

I need help with an issue.  My use case for the Helix is FX only - I have 2 VERY awesome amps that get me every tone I'll ever need.

Because I'm using Helix only for FX - AND because Helix can have up to 32 blocks in a chain - I was really hoping to add an external MIDI controller (like 12 extra buttons.)  and be able to use it to control the FX on/off of the blocks NOT controlled by the Helix pedals.

I play in a 90's cover band - and Basically my main sounds are easily accessed through the built-in pedals.  The bonus of having up to 10 pedals on the unit at a time has been great.  But, rather than switch patches for some of the other crazier effects, I'd like to have an external MIDI Controller turn on/off some fx Blocks with the push of a button.

When Helix originally came out - I was hoping the Helix Control could connect to the Floorboard and unlock up to 20 combinations of buttons at a time - but no dice..(YET?)

SO - the issue I'm having is - I connected my old HD500 to see if the concept will work - but I can't find ANYWHERE in the controller config, or the manuals, etc.  where the parameter for On/Off is set?  You can use an external controller for any of the other parameters on an effect - but not "on/bypassed".  Reading through the literature - it almost seems like you would need to have an effect assigned to an existing pedal on the Helix, then cc that pedal with one of the reserved CC numbers - which is totally useless..and redundant.

Also - any plans to make External amp control polarity configurable so that you can control what channel is on when the LED is lit. (I.E. clean= LED off, dirty = LED on) I saw this was a feature request on Idea scale.

Finally - is there a way to configure Helix such that, when the expression pedal moves past say 5% an fx block turns on, instead of having to push the EP button.  (I think I've seen elsewhere that the answer is "no") Basically for Auto-engage whammy, in my case?

Am I missing something stupid? Or are these just limitations?  Also - Eye Candy:

post-464085-0-43024600-1469054709_thumb.jpg

Grunge on.

• 4 months later...

As of posting this topic - I hadn't upgraded to the lastest firmware and didn't know about the snapshots.

ALSO - the firmware released a few weeks ago 2.10 - I think allows for external MIDI devices to control bypass of effects.  that being said - In my tests I've realized that I cannot have the 32-effect board that I wanted!  lol. 

HOWEVER - this is great.  I'm actually planning to downsize my whole rig to just the helix and my amp.  no more external wah or M9 required.  The updates and new effects coming all the time - there's no reason to have all the extra buttons.  Who knows - I may just go back to the Helix alone - and not use any amps.  Time will tell.  But this thing is a Freakin' Beast.  Helix - I dub thee "Axe-killer."

Sounds like you could use the Snapshots functionallity. You can turn on/off, change parameter value on a LOT of your blocks with just one switch. I don't use Stompbox mode any more, just snapshots. Very useful. 

Snapshots tutorial by Line 6:

• 4 months later...

Sooo, wound up picking up a helix rack. I'm having a issue, which to some might be a small one. My setup consists of a MacBook Pro, Scarlett 2i2 interface, and sterling monitors (yea I know). It's a quick little setup I started to use because it's cheap and it helped me start programming drums for my band. Anyways, I want to get the helix to work on its own without being used in my DAW (which is Logic Pro x btw). A friend of mine has a axe fx 2, and I tried to set it up similar to his with failed results. I'm new to the world of rack mounts and digital amp modelers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sooo, wound up picking up a helix rack. I'm having a issue, which to some might be a small one. My setup consists of a MacBook Pro, Scarlett 2i2 interface, and sterling monitors (yea I know). It's a quick little setup I started to use because it's cheap and it helped me start programming drums for my band. Anyways, I want to get the helix to work on its own without being used in my DAW (which is Logic Pro x btw). A friend of mine has a axe fx 2, and I tried to set it up similar to his with failed results. I'm new to the world of rack mounts and digital amp modelers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If I understand you correctly...

...if you hook Helix up to the Scarlett and then to the monitors, I don't think you'll get any sound unless the computer is on and active.

You can hook helix directly to the studio monitors for this.

I almost 99 % positive my studio monitors don't have XLR inputs. They're pretty cheap monitors. Yes my computer is on and active in this process. Even hooked up via USB it reads patch changes within the editor, but no sound, and yes volume is turned up. I'm very new to all of this and I might be overthinking the process. It works within my DAW like I said but I want it to work on its own not just within the DAW so I can work on tones outside of that

There's a "audio thru" function that might only happen when you engage a track to record.

That's what I'm guessing is happening.

You know that your Helix will work as an interface as well, and that might simplify your life a great deal. Only use the Scarlett when you need what it offers.