Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compatible computers

ericeedwards

I have a POD HD 500x and I run the editor software on a laptop.  Its a pretty stout machine, but it is located in my office and not my music area.  I was thinking about getting one of the little Celeron-powered mini laptops with the 10-11" screens, but I want to be sure that it will run the editor program.  Amazon has these for about $120-200 and I would only be using it for the POD software.

I know that the software does not run on the iPad or Android tablets, so I assume it also does not run on a Chromebook.  As long as the machine uses Windows and has USB, it should work, right?  Is there a low end on the processor required, or a version of Windows that is too old (I assume W95 is too old).

Thanks!

From the Installer guide:

POD HD500X Edit supports the following computer operating systems:

Mac OSX

10.5 (Leopard)
10.6 (Snow Leopard)
...and later versions of OSX

Windows
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Windows Vista Service Pack 2
Windows 7
...and later versions of Windows

POD HD500X Edit is a 32 bit application, but is compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows & Mac versions.

So.. you should be able to run it from just about any Windows laptop. The only issue I can see would be the screen size. It's not that big of an editor window (especially for us "older" folks with bad eyes), so a small screen could be a challenge. YMMV.

Yeah, I don't think that the Pod cares about what brand of processor you are using. I think it is all about the operating system.

Which, you have to be careful with those cheaper devices because they often run a 'lite' version of Windows. 

BUT

Size matters. And so does the pointer.  

The computer program doesn't resize. A lot of people complain when it is on a small screen because some of the program isn't accessible. 

And I think that most of us will agree, you do not want to have to use a touchscreen while running EDIT.

Maybe this post can enlighten you a little ;)

http://line6.com/support/topic/11272-portable-editing-options-hd500/?do=findComment&comment=152779

The result on this 8 years old netbook looks like this...

http://www.musiker-board.de/attachments/eee-pc-1005ha-hdedit-jpg.483826/

... and it costs me around 40 bucks, including a little 2GB RAM-upgrade.

Thanks, guys!  I took a risk and ordered an Asus X205T netbook from Amazon.  $143 and it runs Windows 10 and is just a small laptop.  It has an 11" screen, so my ageing eyes can still see it, but I may need to keep my reading glasses handy. Not being able to resize the Editor is weird, frankly; but I have been in IT for 20 years, so I expect certain things in Windows.  At least it works!  And it is only 2/3 of the screen wide and 95% of height, so no scrolling needed.

I have a small mouse that I will use with the netbook, but the touchpad would work fine too.  I went from unboxing to editing settings on the pod in about 20 minutes.  Most of that was letting the netbook setup its stuff.

FYI, this has an 'Atom' 1.3Ghz processor and 2GB of Ram. It also has only a 20GB Hard Drive and 11Gb of that is the OS.

I have the POD editor loaded, so that is all it is for anyway.  This is a very good solution for editing the pod if I needed to at practice (not during a gig, of course) and I don't have a full strength laptop/pc tied up doing the editing at home.