Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Let Cubase change Snapshot

Dshow

Hi,

does anyone know how to setup cubase so that it changes snapshots?

I tried to load a song into cubase and then send a midi command to change the snapshot or activate a footswitch but didn't have any success.

When I dial the bank and program manually it changes setlist and patches but couldn't figure out how to automate it.

Any hint?

Thanks

Is this performed simply by using Helix as an interface via USB? IE not special mdi cables or setup required? Just Midi controller info in Cubase?

That's whats the plan and it should work fine.

MIDI CC 69 is supposed to do this - values are 0-7 for snapshots 1-8

Mike

Thanks for the reply.

I know the CC numbers are, but I couldn't figure out how tell cubase to change automatically when playing to the recording. It's a cubase specific question I guess.

I was just wondering if anybody already doing this.

I've not tried it, but you should be able to add a MIDI track, route it to the Helix and use it to send the CC.  From memory here, so might be missing something, but this is roughly how to do it I think ...

Create the MIDI track and add a MIDI event to it (Draw tool)

Double click the event to open the MIDI editor

Add a new controller lane -it'll default to velocity. Click where it says "velocity" and it'll give you a list of MIDI CC and other control types. 69 probably isn't listed but I there's an option to add it, I think it's in setup on the dropdown menu. Select CC69, add it to the list the go back and select it.

Use Draw to add the CC events and you should be able to add/change the snapshots

Mike

I've not tried it, but you should be able to add a MIDI track, route it to the Helix and use it to send the CC.  From memory here, so might be missing something, but this is roughly how to do it I think ...

Create the MIDI track and add a MIDI event to it (Draw tool)

Double click the event to open the MIDI editor

Add a new controller lane -it'll default to velocity. Click where it says "velocity" and it'll give you a list of MIDI CC and other control types. 69 probably isn't listed but I there's an option to add it, I think it's in setup on the dropdown menu. Select CC69, add it to the list the go back and select it.

Use Draw to add the CC events and you should be able to add/change the snapshots

Mike

Thanks for the explanation.

I've already setup a midi track but I missed the step with the controler lane. I'll try it out when I'm at home

Helix 2.0 also has a new MIDI Recall display in case you're not sure which MIDI message to use for recalling the current setlist, preset, or snapshot:

1. Press the PRESETS encoder. Above Knob 2 you'll see gray text:
  • The top line is the MIDI CC32 value for recalling the current setlist (000-007)
  • The middle line is the MIDI PC value for recalling the current preset (000-127)
  • The bottom line is the MIDI CC69 value for recalling the current snapshot (000-007)

This has nothing to do with how to send that message from a DAW like Cubase, but at least you won't have to dig into Helix's manual.

Wayish off topic, but seeing you write about recalling setlists reminded me. I have searched the manual in vain, and am probably missing something super simple, but is there a way to change setlists using the footswitches. To date I've had to reach down, press 'Presets' and then use the joystick to navigate left and down\up through setlists. 

And yes, I typically get that the usual workflow would be to have a single setlist for a gig or session but I do have some setlists logically broken down (Variax, Delaune etc) and when we are writing music I like to navigate through different ones to look for a tone I might alter and use....so would be handy for me.

Helix 2.0 also has a new MIDI Recall display in case you're not sure which MIDI message to use for recalling the current setlist, preset, or snapshot:

1. Press the PRESETS encoder. Above Knob 2 you'll see gray text:
  • The top line is the MIDI CC32 value for recalling the current setlist (000-007)
  • The middle line is the MIDI PC value for recalling the current preset (000-127)
  • The bottom line is the MIDI CC69 value for recalling the current snapshot (000-007)

This has nothing to do with how to send that message from a DAW like Cubase, but at least you won't have to dig into Helix's manual.

Thanks! I've already read this in the  manual - it's great

• 6 years later...

I have the same problem.
Helix waits for signals via cc69 to change values between 0-7 to change snapshots.
The problem is that in Cubase, when you try to send different values through cc69, it only allows you to send 2 different ones: 0 or 127. This is because the cc69 is used to know if a pedal like "sustain" is depressed or not . No intermediate values.
How to solve this?
Can the parameter be changed in Helix, so that Helix would expect signals on a different cc?