Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie Question

Steven0115

So, I downloaded the Marshall1974x preset from the customtone bank. It has EXP 2 assigned to a Volume Pedal block, EXP 1 has a Wah assigned to it. Last it has a Volume/Pan block for "gain".

When footswitch 11 (labeled "Solo") is chosen a Teemah distortion block comes on and the Volume/Pan block for "gain" comes on. The parameter for the Volume/Pan block displays " +2.5dB " and does not have a controller assigned to it.

I am totally confused because I figured it would control the dBs of the Teemah distortion. Unfortunately, it does not do anything noticeable.  I am not sure what this volume/pan block is supposed to do. I have seen the same thing in other customtones downloaded and I can't figure it out.

Can someone help me? Thank you and peace.

Steve

Don't know how those blocks are connected, but it's possible the gain block is after the amp and cab, so it only makes things louder, no other effect on the sound (in theory). The Teemah (and other ODs) typically go before the amp, where they both add their own overdrive, and if they provide a net volume increase, also push the amp harder. Upshot of that would be that if you wanted the Teemah tone to be louder without driving the amp harder, you'd need to do that after the amp and cab, like with a gain block there.

Make sense?

Thank you guys. I just realized the +2.5dB Gain volume/pan block is a gain boost. You were exactly right Zooey, this gain boost is the last block on path 2A after the Amp and Cab block before the output. I thought because it was a volume/pan block it controlled the gain of the "Teemah". This makes sense now because when FS11 "Solo" is selected it adds the "Teemah" drive and a +2.5dB gain boost. 

Thank you so very much for the help.

Steve