Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix just arrived - help for some starting Killer issues

willc

Today my Helix arrived and I have a few days to test and decide whether or not I'll keep it.

I still use my POD X3L (+ Expression Pedal 2 for all Volume functions) and I'm trying to confirm some functions which I need and which I was always using with the X3L. I consider myself a quite advanced and experienced PODX3 user.

1. EXP2 with a 2nd Line-6 Expression Pedal plugged in used as Volume Pedal (not talking about exp2 functionality if no 2nd Pedal is plugged in)

With PODX3L, when I switch to another tone, Exp2 always takes the CURRENT Pedal Status (e.g. if MinVol is at 70% and Exp2 is in Back Position it would go to 70%). Exp1 was different, in the first moment it is always at 100% and I have to adjust it.

The Helix now seems to treat the EXP2 (Volume Pedal) like the Previous EXP1. It does NOT take the current Pedal Status but always goes to 100% (full volume) in the first moment. This would be a killer because I couldn't switch between 2 tones during a song without major problems with the Volume. Is that true or did I forget something?

2. Dual Tone Mode

With POD X3L I'm always using the Dual Tone Mode. e.g. Tone 1 is a Rhythm Tone in EXP2 Back Position (Volume Pedal MinVol=100 MaxVol=0), Tone 2 is a Lead Tone in EXP2 Front Position (Volume Pedal MinVol=0, MaxVol=100). Thus I can blend over from Rhythm to Leadsound and don't have to switch. Moreover I can effectively use 256 tones in 128 Tone Slots. How should I do this with Helix?

The Words "Single" and "Dual" are used totally different now in the manual (now used for Cabinet assignments)

3. If a Dual Tone Mode is still there with Helix what is it called now, how could I switch between Tone 1 and Tone 2, how could I turn the Dual Tone Mod on/off and how would I make the two Tone Names visible in the display.

Firmware 1.04.3.

Today my Helix arrived and I have a few days to test and decide whether or not I'll keep it. I still use my POD X3L (+ Expression Pedal 2 for all Volume functions) and I'm trying to confirm some functions which I need and which I was always using with the X3L. I consider myself a quite advanced and experienced PODX3 user. 1. EXP2 with a 2nd Line-6 Expression Pedal plugged in used as Volume Pedal (not talking about exp2 functionality if no 2nd Pedal is plugged in) With PODX3L, when I switch to another tone, Exp2 always takes the CURRENT Pedal Status (e.g. if MinVol is at 70% and Exp2 is in Back Position it would go to 70%). Exp1 was different, in the first moment it is always at 100% and I have to adjust it. The Helix now seems to treat the EXP2 (Volume Pedal) like the Previous EXP1. It does NOT take the current Pedal Status but always goes to 100% (full volume) in the furst moment. This would be a killer because I couldn't switch between 2 tones during a song without major problems with the Volume. Is that true or did I forget something? 2. Dual Tone Mode With POD X3L I'm always using the Dual Tone Mode. e.g. Tone 1 is a Rhythm Tone in EXP2 Back Position (Volume Pedal MinVol=100 MaxVol=0), Tone 2 is a Lead Tone in EXP2 Front Position (Volume Pedal MinVol=0, MaxVol=100). Thus I can blend over from Rhythm to Leadsound and don't have to switch. Moreover I can effectively use 256 tones in 128 Tone Slots. How should I do this with Helix? The Words "Single" and "Dual" are used totally different now in the manual (now used for Cabinet assignments) Firmware 1.04.3.

Hi willc,

No doubt someone on here will be able to sort this out for you very quickly. Although regarding multi pedal set ups, have a look here and see if it gives any clues to help:

http://line6.com/support/topic/20573-expression-1-toe-switch-question/page-1?do=findComment&comment=155232

Good hunting.

There are a couple of ways to switch between tones and maintain the expression pedal status.  Bear in mind the expression pedal resets to the value it had when you saved the preset, so that doesn't mean it resets to 100 or 0.

Other than that, as long as you don't change to a different patch, the pedal value doesn't change.  The most current way to do this would be using snapshots in Firmware 2.01 in which you stay in the same patch but select a different layout or configuration of amps, cabinets and effects all within that same patch.

You can do same thing as what you're describing in firmware prior to 2.01 by assigning multiple actions to a single footswitch.  A single footswitch can have up to eight assignments.  In one of my patches I have a Roland amp, a dual harmonizer, a Matchless amp and a Delay.  All of these individual components are assigned to a single footswitch.  However I saved them so that the Roland and harmonizer were enabled when the switch is in the on position and the the Matchless and delay are off.  When I hit the footswitch, the Roland and harmonizer are turned off and the Matchless and delay are turned on so I can easily switch back and forth with a single footswitch stomp.

1) No comment from me on this since I have Helix Rack/Control with no onboard pedal. I use 2 external pedals but the implementation may be different with the Rack/Control than the floor version. Best to let others chime in on this.

2) You do this on Helix essentially the same way you do it on the X3L. Assign the same pedal to two FX blocks and reverse the min/max values as described.

3) The concept of Dual Tone does not exist in Helix. However you can create presets with up to 4 independent stereo channels. You can use the snapshot feature to arrange for any one or more of these channels to be active at any given time, and use a single foot switch to toggle among the snapshots.

Today my Helix arrived and I have a few days to test and decide whether or not I'll keep it.

I still use my POD X3L (+ Expression Pedal 2 for all Volume functions) and I'm trying to confirm some functions which I need and which I was always using with the X3L. I consider myself a quite advanced and experienced PODX3 user.

1. EXP2 with a 2nd Line-6 Expression Pedal plugged in used as Volume Pedal (not talking about exp2 functionality if no 2nd Pedal is plugged in)

With PODX3L, when I switch to another tone, Exp2 always takes the CURRENT Pedal Status (e.g. if MinVol is at 70% and Exp2 is in Back Position it would go to 70%). Exp1 was different, in the first moment it is always at 100% and I have to adjust it.

The Helix now seems to treat the EXP2 (Volume Pedal) like the Previous EXP1. It does NOT take the current Pedal Status but always goes to 100% (full volume) in the first moment. This would be a killer because I couldn't switch between 2 tones during a song without major problems with the Volume. Is that true or did I forget something?

2. Dual Tone Mode

With POD X3L I'm always using the Dual Tone Mode. e.g. Tone 1 is a Rhythm Tone in EXP2 Back Position (Volume Pedal MinVol=100 MaxVol=0), Tone 2 is a Lead Tone in EXP2 Front Position (Volume Pedal MinVol=0, MaxVol=100). Thus I can blend over from Rhythm to Leadsound and don't have to switch. Moreover I can effectively use 256 tones in 128 Tone Slots. How should I do this with Helix?

The Words "Single" and "Dual" are used totally different now in the manual (now used for Cabinet assignments)

3. If a Dual Tone Mode is still there with Helix what is it called now, how could I switch between Tone 1 and Tone 2, how could I turn the Dual Tone Mod on/off and how would I make the two Tone Names visible in the display.

Firmware 1.04.3.

First of all, you should update to the latest firmware. There's really no reason to start off with an old firmware version.

As far as expression pedals, they all can be configured to behave differently depending on the way you want them to work. You can have them so their position is global - that is whatever position the pedal is in when you enter a preset is the position the parameter(s) being controlled by the pedal reflect when you call up a preset. Or you can have them set to be preset or snapshot. In that case, the preset or snapshot disregards the actual position of the pedal when you enter a preset or snapshot, and the parameter(s) being controlled reflect the value that they were saved with until you move the pedal. This setting can be set differently for each of the three expression pedals.

As far as dual tones, the way the X3L handle dual tones isn't really all that analogous to the way it's done on the Helix. You could kind of set it up like that, but my recommendation to approach the Helix as a completely different processor. Really, you have the ability to run 4 independent stereo paths if you want to, but you can also create more intricate single paths. I guess my suggestion is to spend some time playing around with the Helix and seeing what you can do rather than start going down the path of trying to copy the X3L's functionality.

Your volume thing is in globals. I'm not in front of the Helix at the moment. Check the manual, but you can set the behaviour so the volume is always read from the position of the pedal - which is how I use it and I suspect most people who perform live. You still need to 'normalise' your volumes so the change from patch to patch has no surprises. But if you do and your pedal is set say 60%, then all your patches will be 60% volume.

I suspect though that you are asking the Helix to work exactly the same as your POD X3L. Try to get your head round snapshots - they are the way to set and make changes within a song. Patches are more likely to be a set of snapshots you use per song, so you would have a patch for that song (or group of songs if they are using mostly the same sounds), and change sounds with snapshots during the song.

You can change modules like a chorus with a snapshot, but you can do much more. You can change the drive of the amp, the tone, and turn on or off a significant number of pedals all on one snapshot. You can assign almost every parameter the thing has to a snapshot and make huge changes that way.

The one thing I love about the Helix might not matter so much to a Pod lover - it responds pretty much exactly like a valve amp, so your volume and tone on your guitar will sometimes be the only change you need to make! It's the first digital device I felt I could sell my valve amps to buy.

... rather than start going down the path of trying to copy the X3L's functionality....

Thanks Phil_m

There were just 2 out of many features which are very essential for me for live playing

1. In most cases I want to blend over between Rhythm and Lead Tones - not switch

2. In some cases I cannot avoid switching but in these cases Volume setting is essential

e.g. to avoid switching to a wrong and loud tone while I want to switch to a tone with a lower volume. If I can assign the starting volume so that a Patch would always start with the tone and the volume in which I save it, that would be fine.

1) No comment ...

2) You do this on Helix essentially the same way you do it on the X3L. Assign the same pedal to two FX blocks and reverse the min/max values as described.

3) The concept of Dual Tone does not exist in Helix. However ...

Thanks Silverhead especially re 2) I'll try it