Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plugging mono cable into Helix Phones for stage amp

roscoe5

No technical risk, as far as I know, but you won't get both sides which can be very irritating when you use stereo effects like delay.

I use a two channel DI box between earphone output and stage monitor, which converts the two channels to one mono signal. You need to use a Y- adapter to split the stereo earphone jack into two mono jacks for the DI box inputs though.

I used to have a volume pedal in this signal chain to control the monitor, but with Helix 's separate volume knobs, I don't need it anymore.

Thanks. I'm running mono back to my amp and FOH anyway. Maybe I'll toss a mono volume block at the end of the path to merge the stereo signal. XLR and 1/4" Left output have cable sensing for the right connector and makes the signal mono if right is not present, but it sounds like Phones doesnt.

I use a TRS cable from the headphone output into the input of my Haffler Transnova P3000 power amp that is use as my stage amp. That way I have separate controls for what I send to FOA from the Helix XLR outs and my stage amp. I run both in stereo, but only because of chorus, delay and reverb stereo (after the amp) effects. This has little impact on what people hear if they're positioned near one of the FOH speakers, but adds a little depth to the overall sound without adding too much mud.

Is it bad to shor out one of the sides of the built in head phone amp? I dont know myself.

This is the most important question.  Plugging a mono cable into the headphone jack WILL short one channel to ground, which could damage the headphone amplifier.

This is the most important question.  Plugging a mono cable into the headphone jack WILL short one channel to ground, which could damage the headphone amplifier.

Yeah, that was my original concern.  Thanks!