Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fryette Videos: SS Power Amp VS Neutral Tube Power Amp Into Guitar Cabs

roscoe5

I thought this was an interesting video Fryette put together comparing a solid state power amp vs a neutral tube power amp into a traditional guitar cab with a modeller. He also demos the Valveulator tube input buffer which was interesting as well. I finally settled on continuing to use my Recto 212 cab with Helix (no cab/IR blocks) live. But I continue to bounce back and forth between a SS power amp and my Line 6 Spider Valve HD100, which I feel is very neutral with Helix, but just adds a bit better feel when playing.

No surprise here. Audiophiles and guitarists have known forever that tube amps sound better than solid state.

My Helix is sounding great all by itself. But when I plug it into my DT50 tube head...it goes to another level.

Agreed.  Helix into my Spider Valve HD100 and guitar cab feels better than my SS amp into the same cab, while having similar frequency range and response (after you adjust the presence accordingly).  I'm sure DT50 is even better.

I thought these videos were some of the best (and only) comparisons I have seen running modellers through both SS and neutral tube amps into a regular guitar cab.