Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A challenge.... Slash UYI tone

FarleyUK

Something I've been thinking about for a while.... has anyone been able to dial in a tone very close to the tone on the Use Your Illusion albums from GnR?

I understood that Slash used something like a Silver Jubilee and a Plexi blended together - but who knows!

Would be keen to see if anyone has attempted to get this tone, and your success!

Something I've been thinking about for a while.... has anyone been able to dial in a tone very close to the tone on the Use Your Illusion albums from GnR?

I understood that Slash used something like a Silver Jubilee and a Plexi blended together - but who knows!

Would be keen to see if anyone has attempted to get this tone, and your success!

well, That's a whole story

the first time I heard about the appetite for destruction tone just blew my mind

the legend comes from the modified amplifiers by Dokken's ingeneer (Lynch's)

it's been said that amp was returned to IRS and got lost

then Slash contacted this ingeneer and modified those Silvers for a qhile, unfortunately in the ST LOUIS riot they got shredded, and also unfortunately there were not diagrams to rescue them or even the interest in restoring those destroyed pieces of gear

Slash said in a guitar magazine that it was very difficult to achieve that beautiful tone againg when they were recording the Use your Illusion stuff... Since they were working with one of the best rock industry producers, (Mike Clink) they worked more in the production, microphoning placements and room, than the amplifier itself

Slash said also the best tone was recorded in the song "right next door to hell"

according to his memory (memory fades) it was a jcm800 V30's sm57(lovely placed) tons of reverb(can't remember if digital) and don't forget he played a les paul copy(dry mahogany, aaa maple top, aliuminium tailpeace and abr tune-o-matic bridge(not nashville) ORIGINAL alnico II seymour duncan 11-49 earnie ball, monster cable, RAT stomp, very hard strumming, jack daniels, marlboro, tons of the Hustler's catalogue and many other stuff wouldn't be polite to post in here, but that'll do it.

I've also noticed myself that it will be very close to get the tone we want from any of our favorite music with HELIX (I could even do the same with only my PODxt) but don't forget the albums are remastered as a final recording process(and you may notice that when you get that required tone youl'll be missing something... that something is the remasterization)

good luck!