Photo

How Do I Connect Pod Hd300 To An Amp?

Best Answer TheRealZap , 24 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

just go out of the hd300.... into the effects return of your AMP...

if you don't hear a sound... plug a cable into the guitar input on your amp (or a dummy plug... won't matter what because the pre-amp/input will be bypassed)

that's it.... other than plugging in your guitar to the 300.... no return etc from the effects loop

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Valis11

Valis11

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hi

If anyone can help with this I would appreciate it.

More specifically, what I want to do is to go from my POD HD300, bypass the pre-amp on the tube amp. 

What I also already know is that in order to get decent tone from this method I need to select the amp model as PRE-AMP on the pod, set output mode to LIVE and set the output mode on the pod to ComboAmp or StackAmp. I usually play a Stack with 4x12 marshall cab, but sometimes a combo. I know HD300 has the ability to disable cab models now, so I would like to try this out so that I use only the PRE-AMP of the HD model along with the effects i.e. Screamer, EQ etc. and w/out Cab modelling to colour the tone coming out of the speaker, and only the POWER AMP of the Combo/Stack (Assuming the amp has an FX Return of course).

But Im just a little confused as to how I explicitly go about doing this. 

For instance, HD300 does not have an FX loop....so what do I do? What are my options?

If someone could provide me with possible signal chains for HD300, like exactly which inputs and outputs I need to use and what I have to consider when it comes to volume/tone/signal chain because of having no FX loop on the pod. 

I'm told that I may need a dummy plug because there is no FX loop on HD300? is this correct?

Thanks for your time

Chris

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15728 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:48 AM   Best Answer

just go out of the hd300.... into the effects return of your AMP...

if you don't hear a sound... plug a cable into the guitar input on your amp (or a dummy plug... won't matter what because the pre-amp/input will be bypassed)

that's it.... other than plugging in your guitar to the 300.... no return etc from the effects loop

#3 Valis11

Valis11

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

thanks for your help! 

Just to be sure, do I go from the left/mono UNBALANCED output of the pod 300 to the fx return of the amp?

thanks again

chris

#4 bjnette

bjnette

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

left or right are both mono outs either is fine.

Depending on your amp the best tone might integration might not be what you'd expect.

I have a few amps and one sounds better with PwrAmp selected as output the other studio direct. Another combo, Depends on the amp

toggle the live/studio switch etc as well, though on the 300 if I recall it is night and day tone wise.

#5 Valis11

Valis11

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Oh don't worry I have no illusions about what it would sound like :)

I'm really just wanting to know so i can experiment a little and also for versatility, and if I'm honest, for convenience; usually when I play a gig and just opening for bands,  the other bands will bring amps and let us use them if theyre generous. I'm not too fussy when it comes to tone, I can pretty much play through anything. If not, then I usually just go through FOH/PA and use floor monitors as well. But I just figured I'd like to experiment with the POD a little more with amps. 

Just one more question so that I understand how the POD interacts with the power amp of the combo/stack: 

Once I have bypassed the pre-amp on the combo/stack, will the settings on the front of the combo/stack regulate the tone and/or output volume, or will the tone and/or output volume be completely regulated by the POD? 

I'm thinking that it is the latter. But I thought I'd ask just to be sure. 

I do know that the power amp depending on what it is will affect the tone a little, as well as the speaker of the stack or combo pushing the air. 

Thanks for the advice and help again!

Chris

#6 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15728 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

everything will happen through the pod, except possibly a master volume if your amp has one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users