Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Transparent effects to a tube amp

illustratedman

I have A Germino 40 watt tube amp with killer tone and bought the Firehawk FX because I was told that this would solve all of my pedal problems and be totally transparent.

Anyone know how to use only the effects without any effects loop in the amp head?

Can you just disable the amp and cabinet models?

Thanks.

I have A Germino 40 watt tube amp with killer tone and bought the Firehawk FX because I was told that this would solve all of my pedal problems and be totally transparent.

Anyone know how to use only the effects without any effects loop in the amp head?

Can you just disable the amp and cabinet models?

Thanks.

If the amp has no FX loop, you're always gonna have problems with certain FX. Some things just work better after the pre-amp, such as reverbs and delays. While others like overdrives, distortion boxes, and compressors are generally better out in front. So while you should be able to disable the cab/mic models and use only the FX in the Firehawk (never used one, but since you can do exactly that on most other L6 stuff, I don't see why they'd have removed that option from this unit, but post this over at the Firehawk forum to be sure), having all your FX running straight into the front of the amp may still give you some grief, depending on what you're using at any given time.

Nothing is truly transparent...the more stuff you do to the signal before it hits the amp, the messier (and noisier) things tend to get.