Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noob managing volume/gain question

Chrisgee5

Hi all. I'm a decent beginner that just got my 500X, using either headphones or a tech 21, and I'm trying to figure out how to use all the volume controls to get the most gain at a lower volume level so i don't fry my ears/bother the wife, understanding that there might some tradeoff. I've been reading MeAmBoobo and experimenting but i haven't figured it out. What is the right combination of the POD master volume knob, the POD volume knob, the guitar volume knob, and the tech 21 volume knob (when i'm using the tech 21 instead of headphones), assuming (correctly?) those are the four inputs to play with? Thanks!

• Downvote 1

There is no right answer. There is only the right answer for you. And unfortunately, we can't answer that question because we are not in your head. Only you know the answer. 

BUT

To answer the question ----- 

Since you use headphones, I would set the volume for a comfortable level for when you are using them. 

And then, when you plug into an amp, you use the volume of the amp to control volume. That way, there is no Pod variable. Keep the Pod the same no matter what sound source you are using. 

Sorry, i guess i did not structure my question well. I can figure out how to make the sound louder, and i realize how loud you want it is personal preference. What i am trying to understand is how you use the volume knobs to get max gain/distortion at a lower listening volume level. Right now when i cut the volume i lose most of the distortion, which i am trying not to do. Is this by keeping the master volume high for gain/distortion purposes and adjusting the listening volume using another knob on the POD or guitar volume knob? 

**Using the volume and tone knobs on your guitars are a completely separate subject and has a countless amount of data available already written about it. Google is your friend

The Pod is a completely digital unit. 

You don't need to turn the master volume to 10 in order to heat it up to get the best tone. 

Your tone is created before the master volume of the pod even comes into play. The master volume isn't 'per patch', therefore shouldn't be considered to create tone. 

Pick a master volume position. It  doesn't matter if you choose 1 or 5 or ten or anywhere in between. 

Whatever you pick, keep it there. 

Build your patches. 

I am relatively new to this myself so someone else may be able to provide more accurate information but usually think of it like this.

volume is the equivalent of the volume control of a physical amp

master volume is the volume level applied at the end

So I guess in a simplified scenario I would think that guitar volume, drive and volume would impact distortion levels and that master volume and your headphones/speaker volume would not.  Of course, the amp you are modeling will make a big difference and anything else in the chain can also have an impact.

I would try turning the guitar volume up, turning the drive up, leaving the master volume moderate and use you speaker/headphones to adjust volume to taste.  Also, make sure you are using a suitable amp model.

Right now when i cut the volume i lose most of the distortion, which i am trying not to do.

When you cut the volume on what? The only way you could possibly be losing gain or distortion, is if you're rolling off either the guitar's volume knob, or the "drive" level of whatever amp model you're using. Neither the channel volume of the patch, nor the POD's master volume have anything to do with the amount of gain/distortion in your tone.

Which Tech 21 "amp" are you using btw? TM10, 30, 60 or a PE 60?

IF you have a great tone in the headphone then the issue is how you have the amp set up and depending on the amp it can either be addressed on it or if needs be via the Pod's controls.

I think I understand what you asking here. You want maximum distortion at a lower volume. 

Okay your master on Tech 21 or the master on POD control overall volume, so take volume out of the equation. How do you get distortion.  So you have a two types of distortion, pre-amp gain and power amp (often called tube distortion). For post amp distortion on old tube amp the only way to obtain that was to turn the amp up to 11. In the POD look under the DEP setting for the "Master", turn it all the way and then physical "Master" knob on the unit back. These two are not the same thing.  Now for PreAmp which I think is likely for the bedroom guy the more commonly used one, since turning a non-digital amp to 11 is not possible in most situations. First there is the "Drive" on the modelled amps. On real amps this might be labeled, "Gain", "Pre" or even "Drive". Turn it up to get more Distortion. Turn the "Channel" Volume down to bring the volume level back a bit. Need more? Put a gain pedal FX in front of the amp. Personally some of my favorites are light gain like overdrives with the "gain" turned down the "Output" turned way up. The idea is to hit the pre amp of amp with a lot of level driving it into Distortion. Of course there flat out "Distortion" FX on the unit and modelled amps such as the "Angel F-Ball" which have huge amount of distortion all on their own too. Too much and your sound can turn to mud. Hope all this helps some, maybe sparks and idea you tinker with to get what you are looking for.

Yes Palico, that is what I was trying to do. With these explanations i got it figured out - thanks everyone! I had the Tech 21 volume and the master volume too high, and to compensate I turned the guitar knob volume down. To correct things I turned the tech 21 and master down and the amp and guitar volumes up and i was able to keep the distortion at a lower room volume. Noob learned something!

Pianoguyy, thanks for replying but just because someone asks a basic question does not mean they are lazy and just asking a question instead of trying to figure it out on their own. I asked here after I had surfed the web and experimented unsuccessfully for over a week on my own. I guess guitar gear setup is not my natural skill set.

Bah.... PG said nothing of the sort my man and gave the best advice. The only issue is knowing what or how to phrase the search strings.

Master volume amp basics..... how to set up an amp for distortion....... how to use a distortion pedal

Its all good in the end.

Bill

guitar knob volume down

Ahh. You learned a very valuable lesson that doesn't just apply to digital units but any guitar amp. If you turn the volume down before it hits the amp, the guitar tone cleans up a lot. If you notice the volume drop as you roll down the knob is not that great either until you get down it a bit.

This is a very common technique for Lead vs. Rhythm playing in the old days of one channel amps and even still used a  lot today. Set your tone and level for lead and then just roll back the volume knob on the guitar itself of Rhythm playing. It drops volume just a bit and cleans up a lot. Then when you go for lead, just dime it out and roll back when you are done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you figured it out! With electric guitar signal chains, many times the ORDER of things matter.

Boosting volume before a gain stage (pedal or amp) will increase the amount of distortion, but less of a volume increase (by nature, distortion compresses signal levels).

Boosting volume after a gain stage does not change the amount of distortion caused by that stage, but u get a bigger volume increase (like a clean boost).

Also, check the Pad switch, which cuts the input level of your guitar by about 6db.