Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VIIyears

So the way I've been recording is I use the Helix into an interface which then goes into my Mac. On the Helix I have the guitar patch EQ'd and Compressed. I was wondering if I would get better mixing results by bypassing the EQ and Compression on the guitar patch for when I record, and then do the EQ'ing and Compression on my DAW. 

You could experiment by using reamping on Helix vs. VSTs in your DAW. Record the guitar part without EQ or compression. Then compare by adding the EQ and compression to the recorded track using both methods. Pick the one you like best.

So the way I've been recording is I use the Helix into an interface which then goes into my Mac.

Hi VIIyears,

The one thing I don't understand is why you have Helix going into an interface and then into the Mac. Helix is an 8 channel USB audio interface. Your set up is just adding an extra layer of unneeded signal processing. Keep everything as clean as possible, then you have the option to re-amp with lots of different settings, amps, cabs, fx whatever. You still have your untouched original version that you can come back to anytime.

Experiment - enjoy!

Hi VIIyears,

The one thing I don't understand is why you have Helix going into an interface and then into the Mac. Helix is an 8 channel USB audio interface. Your set up is just adding an extra layer of unneeded signal processing. Keep everything as clean as possible, then you have the option to re-amp with lots of different settings, amps, cabs, fx whatever. You still have your untouched original version that you can come back to anytime.

Experiment - enjoy!

Thanks for the tip man I'll do that from now on!

Also here are some visuals for everyone to see how much I'm Compressing and EQ'ing in the Helix - http://imgur.com/a/f2jaS

I was wondering if I would get better mixing results by bypassing the EQ and Compression on the guitar patch for when I record, and then do the EQ'ing and Compression on my DAW. 

This is the way to go for recording imho.

You could also simultaneously record a dry guitar signal and re-amp it differently later.

Yeah, what they said! I'm use Helix as my main soundcard now, it's excellent to be able to record the full stereo tone to USB 1/2 while also capturing the dry guitar input on USB7.

You can also snag some other extra inputs, using USB8 as either dedicated AUX or MIC in; depends on what you have going.

I was using the mic in to capture a guitar amp DI on one patch, and used AUX in recently to route a mono drum machine input.

First... as others have said,  use the Helix as your interface.  If for no other reason it cuts down on the number of conversions your signal goes through.

Regarding compression and EQ, while the general rule is to record as dry as possible, that's also considering the "old school" technique where you are mic'ing an amp in the room to record.  In this scenario, while some engineers do it, you really shouldn't put any EQ or compression on that mic that is doing the recording. However, there certainly may be compression and EQ on the front of the signal chain to achieve the sound in the room, and you'd want to leave those in place.

With the Helix, things are a little different.  If you are putting the Compression at the END of your signal chain this would be like putting compression AFTER the mic that is recording... you don't really want to do that.  It's not part of your sound.  If on the other hand your compression in up front, and part of your sound, than by all means leave it in place.

Same for EQ.  I would turn off Global EQ, and I would not use any EQ AFTER the cab for recording.  Again, you may have some EQ up front in the signal chain to get your sound.   Use of compression and EQ up front some people refer to as "sustain" and we wouldn't want to kill that.   

An easy way to think about all this is...  Everything BEFORE the CAB in the Helix chain is equivalent to "in the room" or what's coming going to be coming out the speaker.   Everything starting with, and  AFTER the CAB in the signal chain is more importantly AFTER the Microphone that's pointed at the Cabinet in the signal chain.  

whats also cool is i can plug in my ipad during rehearsal and record usb 1/2 and the dry usb 7. That way i can record with the full effect and feel of the tone then go back and reamp to remove some of the verb or delay etc, but it is sure nice to record with the wet tone