Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Original Variax Workbench & Variax 700 Acoustic

xrayjohn

Okay, I just bought an acoustic Variax 700 and it is not pairing well with an HD500x and the newest workbench. My question is, does the original variax workbench software allow for patches to be made that include alternate tunings? I want to avoid having to manage tunings on the guitar itself.

PS: I know the original workbench requires an HD500 and won't work on the HD500x.

Sorry to bring bad news, but Workbench HD only works for JTV and the new Standard.  Workbench without the HD is what will work for the original Variax series.

The firmware on the acoustic variax is limited so that you can only apply the alternative tunings within patches, but it is not just an HD500 that can act as an interface - for example the Pod X3 can too.  Workbench was/is sold with an interface unit that connects to the variax using vdi and a computer using USB, and it is that which is the proper way to connect them; it sounds as though that is what you need.

I'm not so sure the old Variax's tuning can be controlled from the HD500 OR the X3. As I recall, you had to store the tuning in the guitar itself and then call up the memory slot that you save it in. So you could store the memory slot in a patch but you can't control the guitar's tuning from a patch. So I'm pretty sure you have to store the tuning in the guitar for which, obviously, you could use one off the Custom 1 or 2 slots in the old Variax,

• Upvote 1

I'm not so sure the old Variax's tuning can be controlled from the HD500 OR the X3. As I recall, you had to store the tuning in the guitar itself and then call up the memory slot that you save it in. So you could store the memory slot in a patch but you can't control the guitar's tuning from a patch. So I'm pretty sure you have to store the tuning in the guitar for which, obviously, you could use one off the Custom 1 or 2 slots in the old Variax,

Thanks for the info... Much appreciated!