52 replies to this topic

#1 jdenkevitz

jdenkevitz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I would greatly appreciate it, if the user were given the option of choosing which guitar models to load from the various iterations released.

While I do like many of the changes in fw 2.0, I prefer some of the non HD models. Additionally, I also enjoy using the pre 1.72 non 'HD' acoustic guitar models. They had a more direct characteristic that was better suited when playing live as opposed to the 'HD' models which have ambience baked into them.

Is it a technical impossibility to offer us the capacity to use a combination of HD and non HD models?

I prefer the older 335 models as well. With the new ones, ive had to go through and bump up the pickup output levels, and make changes to the tone knobs to approximate how the old ones sounded, and its still not what I prefer.

I would even gladly pay a fee to have access to all the models.

Please don't reply to this thread that I can just roll back to a prior firmware. Im aware of this, but doing so means I lose many of the newer functions added.

My Band: www.steamtheory.com

My Youtube vids: http://www.youtube.c...y?feature=watch

Also post as "germanicus".

#2 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Please don't reply to this thread that I can just roll back to a prior firmware. Im aware of this, but doing so means I lose many of the newer functions added.

This has already been answered many times in this forum. If you want to enjoy the new features you also have to accept the new tones.

It is one or the other.

#3 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

+1. I'd love them to remodel the 1.9 strat and 335 using HD technology. I simply don't like those two specific instruments they picked for ver2.

#4 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

With the options in workbench, you should be able to tweak the 2.0 models to your liking.  IT's not likely that Line6 will make both 1.9 and 2.0 models available in the same download.

#5 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

I don't even think this is possible,,, they've updated the "engine" behind the models to the point where the old models wouldn't sound the same in the new firmware.

and they're not going to want to spend time tweaking the old models...

#6 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm not talking about being able to load 1.9 models into HD. What I'm talking about is sort of a model pack scenario where they "remodel" the actual instruments they used for the 1.9 strat and 335 in HD. I simply prefer the basic tonal characteristics of those instruments from 1.9. 

#7 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm not talking about being able to load 1.9 models into HD. What I'm talking about is sort of a model pack scenario where they "remodel" the actual instruments they used for the 1.9 strat and 335 in HD. I simply prefer the basic tonal characteristics of those instruments from 1.9.

I don't see why that wouldn't be possible, but, honestly, I'd say the chance of them making models of different versions of guitars already modeled would be relatively slim. So many people have requested models of different guitars over the years (such as an SG, Jazzmaster, etc.) that I'd think there would be more interest in doing totally new guitars first.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#8 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

We will probably never know for sure, but a possible reason they modeled a different group of guitars this time is that when they got around to doing HD modeling the exact guitars they used 10 years ago for the original Variax may not have been available. I would think they borrowed or rented the guitars to model - I really doubt there has been a 1958 Les Paul hanging on the wall in the Line 6 research labs since 2002 just collecting dust and waiting to be modeled again.

Probably just a semi-educated guess - if anyone has any info on the original guitars used for the older or the HD modeling I would love to read it, and it may be a false memory but I seem to vaguely recall mention of some of the original guitars being borrowed or rented back in the day...

#9 jdenkevitz

jdenkevitz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

To me the issue is one of what tools work for different styles/preferences. The promise of this technology is its versatility. 

Why wouldnt HD models and non HD models work loaded in at the same time? Thats the way it was in 1.9 

The Acoustics were 'HD' and the electrics were not. It worked then, why cant I do that with select electrics now?

I dont understand the mentality of updating new features and then making substantive changes at the same time to the tonality of many instruments.

The option to use the older models should be available without having to sacrifice new features.

I'm reminded of the adage 'If it aint broke, dont fix it'.

Personally I thought the 'update' of the acoustics to 'HD' was more a step backward than forward, as it mainly just 'cooked in' ambience to the guitar tone itself.

I would love to hear from an actual Line 6 representative on this issue. 

Im sure that if enough customers make their desires known, Line 6 can make it happen. 

#10 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

You realize the sound of the models are coded in the firmware, not the model presets itself.

It's a waste of memory to have both the old and new models in the firmware, and I highly doubt it can even fit in the memory of the JTV.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#11 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:09 AM

fair point... but many thought that the acoustics had been upgraded again and they weren't...

they are just now being rendered through the HD engine...

Why wouldnt HD models and non HD models work loaded in at the same time? Thats the way it was in 1.9 

The Acoustics were 'HD' and the electrics were not. It worked then, why cant I do that with select electrics now?

#12 broker2

broker2

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

I like the sounds of the acoustics.

#13 jdenkevitz

jdenkevitz

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

You realize the sound of the models are coded in the firmware, not the model presets itself.

It's a waste of memory to have both the old and new models in the firmware, and I highly doubt it can even fit in the memory of the JTV.

The fact that people are asking for the capacity to include the old models would lead one to believe that, at least for those customers, its not a 'waste of memory'.

Do you have specific knowledge in regards to much memory/how many models the firmware can store?

Or are you just guessing (making up stuff)?

#14 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

I don't think you have to have any specific knowledge to know that space used for old models=less space for new models. (SG, jazzmaster, jaguar, national, nylon string, etc etc....)

and i i said earlier... the old models wouldn't sound the same on the new firmware...

so what is being asked for, won't give you what you are asking for.

The fact that people are asking for the capacity to include the old models would lead one to believe that, at least for those customers, its not a 'waste of memory'.

Do you have specific knowledge in regards to much memory/how many models the firmware can store?

Or are you just guessing (making up stuff)?

#15 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Very possible. I will say that the strat and 335 sound like the exact same guitars from the 500 all the way to the jtv 1.9 to me. I guess that's why I'm unhappy with HD. I've been playing these models since the 500 came out. 

We will probably never know for sure, but a possible reason they modeled a different group of guitars this time is that when they got around to doing HD modeling the exact guitars they used 10 years ago for the original Variax may not have been available.

#16 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

and i i said earlier... the old models wouldn't sound the same on the new firmware...

so what is being asked for, won't give you what you are asking for.

I suspect that if they modeled the exact same guitars that were used in 1.9 with HD technology, they would sound even better.

#17 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

I suspect that if they modeled the exact same guitars that were used in 1.9 with HD technology, they would sound even better.

Or they would still sound different and people would still complain... That's why I don't think there's much of an upside in Line 6 doing it.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#18 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

the HD models sound "even better" already.... but this was about people wanted the older models...

i'm just saying... if you re-model them in HD... they aren't the same models... and you'll still have people who like the old models... 

#19 Bobbyl

Bobbyl

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

the HD models sound "even better" already.... but this was about people wanted the older models...

i'm just saying... if you re-model them in HD... they aren't the same models... and you'll still have people who like the old models... 

Again, I'm talking about using the original source guitars which I like much better than the strat and 335 they used for 'hD.

#20 offashead

offashead

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

I would do it but I'm not sure how?  Start a poll. HD 2.0 or 1.9. Just a yes or no. No explanations why you prefer one over the other.

And, Line 6 are a big company, they have to cater for the masses, they cannot cater for individual taste, it's impossible. They have took years to get the update out, it cost time and money to do it and I am sure they feel they have found a balance. Not everyone is going to like it, but, what else can they do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users