Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please Make The Non 'hd' Models Available In Workbench

Well they say history has a way of repeating itself and this thread is more proof.  EVERY time Line 6 has upgraded firmware or come out with the next generation of products, "please make the old models available" is ALWAYS a request from someone.  Line 6 has never fulfilled that request with one exception that I can recall.  It was the Pod 2.0 version of the Treadplate.  They made their XT and Vetta model of that model available due to all the requests for it.  It didn't seem to help.  As I recall people didn't like the XT model of the 2.0 model.  I think that maybe a Marshall 800 model was treated that way as well in one of the XT firmware updates but again, it didn't seem to make anyone happy.  So, the bottom line is this historical request will continue to be made and historically, Line 6 has not fulfilled it.  That's the best answer to this request we have now.  But don't give up either.  I think having both versions available would be very cool.  I always wondered why they couldn't make all kinds of different models available and you could fill the memory slots with whatever models you liked.  Be it pickups, bodies, capacitors, etc.  So, of course, you wouldn't be able to store all of the models on your Varaix but they would be available to you to customize your Variax even more than you can now. I don't know what the Variax memory hierarchy is so this may be impossible to implement.  I am very happy with the whole Variax thing as it is right now. 

I have an SG in which I rewired it with 3 6 pole-6 throw switches so I could come up with every pickup wiring possibility two humbuckers can give.  Each pickup's coils could be In series-in phase, in series out of phase, each coil alone parallel-in phase, parallel-out of phase.  Then each pickup had the same wiring options relative to each other.  All to try and simulate other guitar sounds.  I was just getting ready to put in a piezo bridge for an acoustic simulation when I got my first Variax.  I haven't touched my SG since.  So I really appreciate where we are now compared to where we were.  I guess I've blathered enough.  Sorry about that.  But I'm posting it anyway so there.  :P  :D

For anyone who would like the option of having some of the older models available (Strat, 335, older pre 1.72 Acoustics), please see the following:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/JT-Variax-Allow-user-access-to-all-replaced-models-in-workbenc/524926-23508

This would give us, the end user, the choice in which models to use, and give us greater versatility.

Only Line 6 knows how difficult from a technical/resource perspective this would be to add in a future firmware update, and whether or not they are hamstrung from a limited amount of memory in the units firmware making this request difficult to fulfill. As such, I would prefer that conjecture in that regard be left out of this discussion ...

This is simply a feature request.

This forum is not a great place to let Line6 know your thoughts - try posting here: http://line6.ideascale.com/

I did, and still you find the need to get in snide remarks.

everyone is free to have an opinion... the more models the better really... i'd personally prefer more new ones to the return of the old ones...

but no problem for me if you have a different opinion....

on this point though... it is a topic in which he created... making the entire thread his business...

he obviously wants to discuss the topic... his opinion is different than yours... no big deal...

apparently his argument is using tactics in which are failing to persuade you...

now shake hands and agree to disagree...   :D

I did this. Apparently reading comprehension is difficult for some here.

Meltdown rebuttal coming in 3...2...1...

Probably best to ignore this thread... must...take...own...advice... trainwreck... so difficult... to... look away...

Need I say more? 

Meltdown rebuttal coming in 3...2...1...

Probably best to ignore this thread... must...take...own...advice... trainwreck... so difficult... to... look away...

Dude, it would be wasting space. Why would we waste memory space for old technology that they can't work with? They can progress on the HD stuff if it's truly broke.

I don't know how many times it's been said that people can roll back. If you're so concerned about the old models, let's use that memory space for them to make different strat bodies and stuff that you guys want to badly.

Dude, it would be wasting space. Why would we waste memory space for old technology that they can't work with? They can progress on the HD stuff if it's truly broke.

I don't know how many times it's been said that people can roll back. If you're so concerned about the old models, let's use that memory space for them to make different strat bodies and stuff that you guys want to badly.

Erm, don't know why you quoted me here, you are preaching to the choir... I agree with you completely. IMO it would be a waste of L6 time and effort, waste of space, step backward, redundant due to older versions of firmware still being available, appealing to nearly no one if polls and current ideascale rating is any indicator... don't care if L6 ever makes it possible, don't care if they don't, pretty sure it is not gonna happen for all the reasons that have been stated previously, honestly could not give a hot lollipop either way.

I did, and still you find the need to get in snide remarks.

I did this. Apparently reading comprehension is difficult for some here.

Need I say more? 

Also post as "germanicus".

I applaud you for posting the idea on ideascale. great job! I hope others will follow your lead.

And kudos on owning up to posting under and skewing the polls by voting under multiple aliases, most would not have the guts to confess.

I did this.

I must have missed this post, perhaps it was one of the posts you immediately deleted?

At any rate, I do not believe there is anything anyone can say in this thread that will have any effect on whether you ever get what you are asking for. It's fun discussing it though...

Though we disagree on what should be done and the likelyhood of it ever happening, I support your efforts. Comprende?.

"Rave on brother, I'm with ya!" - Carl Perkins

I applaud you for posting the idea on ideascale. great job! I hope others will follow your lead.

And kudos on owning up to posting under and skewing the polls by voting under multiple aliases, most would not have the guts to confess.

I must have missed this post, perhaps it was one of the posts you immediately deleted?

At any rate, I do not believe there is anything anyone can say in this thread that will have any effect on whether you ever get what you are asking for. It's fun discussing it though...

Though we disagree on what should be done and the likelyhood of it ever happening, I support your efforts. Comprende?.

'Support' using such language as "Meltdown rebuttal coming in ..."

More hyperbole and misdirection. You speak out of both sides of your mouth within the exact same post repeatedly. Just when earlier you admitted to not knowing what you were talking about, and then mere sentences later went on to speak from that very same position (the one which you admitted knowing nothing about) as if you did. Its just old and boring now.

I've attempted to keep this thread on track, the mod asked that be done, but you just want to play games and obfuscate. Happy Trolling. By all means keep bumping the thread to get the last word, its obvious thats what is important to you.

there's a windmill to the left

I'm tilting... I'M TILTING!!!

'Support' using such language as "Meltdown rebuttal coming in ..."

I support your attempt to get something that you find important added to your guitar.

I support you posting the idea on ideascale and others doing the same, no matter how misguided, redundant, likely unfeasible, kooky, wasteful, or utterly ridiculous I personally think any particular idea is.

Obviously you are having a difficult time understanding that so I will not keep repeating it.

No matter what anyone says in this thread Line 6 will decide whether this is a good/possible/worthwhile and act accordingly (hint: it probably ain't gonna happen for all the reasons you have already been given, so don't hold your breath - and if it does happen, congratulations!).

This thread is a tempest in a teapot and even if it is bumped 1,000 times by you and 1,000 times by me it is not likely  to have any influence on the future of the JTV.

Calm down, no one here is a threat to you.

I understand where he's coming from, but it's incredibly unproductive to use that 10 year old technology that 1.9 is equipped with.

I agree that the old Variax stuff sounds great, yeah, but the new one sounds great too, maybe a few things off or alienating towards people. The thing that needs to happen is that they need to model the correct stuff, not change any of the models they have. We don't need a drastic change of what people bought the guitar for. 

The idea of the HD models should be upgraded versions of the same guitars and possibly more. The more part was the new humbucker telecaster and 89 models. 

I also stated that they might be hitting the ceiling of the memory of the JTV, and doubling the library of guitar models with 1.9 models is counterproductive.

Hopefully the memory thing isn't the case, but I still think they shouldn't waste is on a mindless thing as adding old technology back. Once again, model the previous 1.9 guitars though their HD technology.

Remember - if they were to add more models we have no way of selecting them.  The model selector and 5 way are programmed to select the models.  You would have to invent a way to download the ones you want and leave some out.  The FW may not be written to support that.  The model selection has been the same since the first Variax electric.

My advice is that if you like 1.9 better than 2.0 then use 1.9 and be done with it!

• Upvote 1