Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Hd 2.0 Lower Input Gain Via Vdi Cable (hd500)

Hello 

I used some tele and strat models in my HD500 patches in 1.9 before.

After the 2.0 upgrade I recognized, that the same new models have less input gain.

That means I have to adjust the variax patch levels up to 3dB or more to get the same input gain (distortion) in my HD500.

Do you made all the same experience or should I reflash my variax to solve the gain problem.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Maybe some of the models needed to be tweaked to prevent clipping.  My JTV-69 came with 2.0 so I have no comparison but some of the models are much higher gain than others. (as are the real deals)  I do notice that the high string volumes are not quite up to the levels of the others on some models but I have decided to play the guitar a few more days and experiment before I fool with Workbench and tweak things more to my liking.  So far, I am very satisfied with the sound of many of the models.  It's quite an improvement over my original 500.  I like the mag pickups too.

I think the new HD PU's work more like in the real world. That means a single coil pu has less gain as a humbucker pu.

In 1.9 there were less "dynamic" between the models.

Could anybody confirm this?

I have only one JTV69 and I cannot compare it.

Is it possible to clip the variax output, when I adjust the patch level to e.g. 6dB ?

I think the new HD PU-Levels work more like in the real world. That means a single coil pu has less gain as a humbucker pu.

In 1.9 there were less "dynamic" between the models.

Could anybody confirm this?

Well, I think you're probably mostly correct. Although, I will say this. I think there is more difference in the levels of different pickups than people realize. I know that the levels of the models were made to be more equal in the final release. They maintained some difference for realism's sake, but I think if they modeled the pickups at the level they were actually at, people would probably not like it. There are some pretty severe difference in the levels of some of the modeled guitars.

For me the real problem with altering the volume levels in a firmware update is that, since in 1.9 they were all set at max levels by default (don't know if this is true with 2.0), it means we who have customized presets, either in the guitar or the amp (Vetta 2 in my case) now have to go back and redo all the presets to ensure the volumes are at the same levels as before the update.  Since tweaking volumes for me is a lengthy process that occurs while playing at gigs (studio adjustments always require testing at gigs as that's where I want my best sound), it means again more hours on the road to go through this process.

But hey, this is what we programming geeks do !  So bring it on Line6 !  :)