Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod XTLive with power amp into 4x12 cabinet solution

While my new Amplifi 150 is in the shop (power issues?), I took the plunge and bought a CRATE powerblock to use with my trusty Pod XTLive board - and used the Crate powerblock only as a power amp into my Fender 4x12 cabinet.  It worked like a champ.

You do need to configure the OUTPUT setting on the Line 6 Pod XT LIVE (I chose power amp, not direct) - but that's usually the case.

• Guitar into Line 6 Pod XT Live
  • Line 6 Pod left + right outputs --> Crate Powerblock LINE IN (L&R)
  • Crate Powerblock L&R outputs ---> Cabinet  (The Fender 4x12 mustang cabinet can be configured to be stereo) 

You can see in the picture, pretty easy setup.

Note: during a live show, I always use my Boss Tuner (just used to it I guess) and I had bought the Behringer Ultra Shifter/Harmonist US600 Processor pedal so I easily drop to an Eb if needed. Versatile little pedal.

(and yes, that's a Kramer 5150 replica, which I use for the fun Van Halen party tunes at the end of the night - always fun to play and usually a few guitiarists in the crowd appreciate it.)

13882273_10210309629996744_2373800266108

Crate powerblock was $100 on Craigslist

I've previously used the Pod XT live into a Roland Keyboard amp (KB300) but it's very bass-y.  And it's only 1 speaker (albeit powerful).  Having a 4x12 was helpful as it filled the stage (an outside benefit show).

I spent a lot of time pondering the FRFR (Full Range, Flat Response) route - but this was just as powerful, much more affordable, and flexible.  Plus, the stereo effects were nice to hear on stage.

Hope this helps someone pondering power-amps in a live situation (like me a few weeks ago).

post-671041-0-69352800-1471640692_thumb.jpg