Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacement speaker suggestions?

Death_machine

So I got my used Spider Valve MKii 212 in. I plugged in and started with some cleans and they sounded really good (as expected) but when I tried the distortions it was really not what I was expecting having tried one of these 2 weeks ago. The bass was flubby and muddy and the over all quality was just ok. Kind of like a better sounding Line6 Spider IV. So I go to plug an effect into the loop when I see the problem..... Whoever owned this before trading it in at the music store I got it from online switched the speakers out and put in some Eminence speakers. From all that I found online about these speaker models are they most likely came from a Gen Benz 2x12 cab or one of their El Diablo 2x12 amps. So, I have some speakers to test in there before I decide to try to send it back. I was wondering if anyone had any good cheapish (No more than $150ish per pair) suggestions on other speakers (I am trying Swamp Thangs and Hellatone 60s) incase I can't return it or it will be too much hassle to return it. Thanks - Dann

• 1 month later...

So I got my used Spider Valve MKii 212 in. I plugged in and started with some cleans and they sounded really good (as expected) but when I tried the distortions it was really not what I was expecting having tried one of these 2 weeks ago. The bass was flubby and muddy and the over all quality was just ok. Kind of like a better sounding Line6 Spider IV. So I go to plug an effect into the loop when I see the problem..... Whoever owned this before trading it in at the music store I got it from online switched the speakers out and put in some Eminence speakers. From all that I found online about these speaker models are they most likely came from a Gen Benz 2x12 cab or one of their El Diablo 2x12 amps. So, I have some speakers to test in there before I decide to try to send it back. I was wondering if anyone had any good cheapish (No more than $150ish per pair) suggestions on other speakers (I am trying Swamp Thangs and Hellatone 60s) incase I can't return it or it will be too much hassle to return it. Thanks - Dann

If you're looking for cheap and good sounding check out the Jensen line of speakers, they've been around forever, most are still made in Italy and most are pretty danged good from most reviews. They have tons to choose from. Read some reviews, check some online pricing (New or used) and watch some listening tests on Youtube. Cheers

One thing I have been reading is about closing the backs on open cabs. You need to still have some opening to let the heat out of that puppy but it might be something to add to the "things to look at list". For modeling I like the Celestion GT12-75s.

The modeling featured in the Spider Valve MKII was designed with Celestion Vintage 30's. Using other speaker combinations can produce unexpected results due to their frequency response.