Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Feedback suppression - cumulative effects?

Hi,

I hope someone can help? Just wondered, if I use feedback suppression on vocal channels, is the filtering additive? Here's what I mean:

Gig 1 - feedback occurs and frequencies '1' and '2' are cut from vocal channel. Scene saved for Gig 2 (Freqs '1','2' removed)

Gig 2 - feedback occurs and frequencies '3' and '4' are cut from vocal channel. Scene saved for Gig 3 (Freqs '1','2,'3','4' removed)

Gig 3 - feedback occurs and frequencies '5' and '6' are cut from vocal channel. Scene saved for Gig 4 Freqs '1','2,'3','4', '5', '6' removed)

All advice appreciated!

Thank you.

Malc

Feedback suppression frequencies are not saved.  Not even from soundcheck to gig - the only way to keep them active is to keep the mixer switched on.

At each gig you need to ring out the target frequencies for each mic one at a time

As Rewolf48 states, feedback frequencies are session only. As soon as you reboot, or change setup, the notches are lost and the cycle starts again.

Whether this is a good or bad thing is open to debate, but as it isn't just "the mic" and "the monitor" combination that creates the feedback frequency in the first place. You can go into exactly the same room on a different occasion and suffer no feedback on a particular frequency. There are simply too many transient and environmental factors that go into it. So, having saved notches would in many regards be irrelevant.

Even a notch that is needed at the start of the night can "move" as the environmental variables change.