Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic Selection

titchyblackcat

I almost always go 57 off axis for distortion but seem to lean towards the condensers for cleans.

The IRs are the next thing an update good enhance and squeeze some more out of the mighty HD. The only thing in its price range that can do it is the GSP1101 but that is with Beta firmware.

This post may help. For example, you can see the 57 will be much brighter than the 421 or 409, but the 409 has extended bass response. Or you can see the ribbons offer more bass AND more treble. It provides a visual way of seeing what you'll be hearing. None of them are right or wrong. They just offer another way to shape the tone.

This another hit and miss for me.

Does anyone have a method of selecting a mic to speed up the work flow ?

Also if you select No Cab selected does this disable the mic ?

You could have multiple takes in a DAW, each take representing one cab/mic combo. Later on, when your ears may not be so fatigued, just fire up the DAW and continuously toggle between all the takes to help you decide which you like best. When doing it this way, it really illustrates in a dramatic fashion just how different a tone can be simply by switching the cab and mic.

• Upvote 1

You could have multiple takes in a DAW, each take representing one cab/mic combo. Later on, when your ears may not be so fatigued, just fire up the DAW and continuously toggle between all the takes to help you decide which you like best. When doing it this way, it really illustrates in a dramatic fashion just how different a tone can be simply by switching the cab and mic.

More and more I have come to realize the truth in this D. Ear fatigue is sneaky and usually creeps up on me before I know its there.

-B

• Upvote 1

A lot of great comments!  One thought that may be helpful to some - I always think of mics as the following general categories:

Dynamic - more "aggressive" sounding, often has specific frequency dips

Condenser - more "even" sounding due to their design

Ribbon - more "warm" sounding due to their design

a pretty common studio trick for heavier guitar sounds is to use a dynamic mic a couple inches away from the cab, then a condenser mic a little further back.  On HD you can accomplish this by setting the same amp up and changing out the mics on the cabs - and changing the cabs can be a fun way to shape tones as well.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have a method of selecting a mic to speed up the work flow ?

You can use the Looper in PRE position. Record a brief sample and then start playback. While the loop is playing put down your guitar and edit the mic selection. Cycle through the options and listen. Choose the mic you like best.

I'm not sure if everyone knows about this but one thing I do using HD edit is first you select a mic. Then using the up down arrows on your keyboard you can quickly go through all of the mics. This applies to everything by the way. I use the same method to check out all of the cabinets. You can go through them very quickly and get a good idea of what the differences are. A lot faster than using the drop down menu each time to select something. Can be used for levels as well.

I'm not sure if everyone knows about this but one thing I do using HD edit is first you select a mic. Then using the up down arrows on your keyboard you can quickly go through all of the mics. This applies to everything by the way. I use the same method to check out all of the cabinets. You can go through them very quickly and get a good idea of what the differences are. A lot faster than using the drop down menu each time to select something. Can be used for levels as well.

... works in Variax Workbech too. I only wish they had sorted the mics and cabs by tone and not by name so you don't have to jump from A to Z to B sound wise.