Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Channel Switching With Helix Rack

LateratoR

Greetings!

To preface the below, I have searched high and low for a real answer for my issue. I hope that I am able to find what I'm looking for here!

Problem: I have 4 snapshots in Preset "001" that I am trying to integrate MIDI with to switch channels on my Carvin Legacy 3. 

Snapshot 1: "Clean" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #81 over Channel 1 (MIDI talk, of course)

Snapshot 2: "Crunch/Dry" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #82 over Channel 1

Snapshot 3: "Crunch/Wet" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #82 over Channel 1

Snapshot 4: "Lead" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #83 over Channel 1

CC parameters #84 and #85 control Legacy 3 boost and reverb functions respectively. I do not intend to use these at this time. 

I have tried going into the Global Settings and was successful in assigning CC #81-83 to my Helix Floor unit. I can find the toggles grayed out in "Stomp Mode" and can switch the amp channels in stomp mode. I CAN'T trigger the changes in Snapshot mode, however....I'm perplexed. Super perplexed. 

Can someone walk me through the steps that I need to take to set this up? I want to have this as a guide to take with me in the event something happens. I play in a band that travels internationally and due to time constraints, I'm basically freaking out inside. We are going from Michigan to New York and then on a cruise ship to Bermuda in literally less than 30 days now. Any assistance will be super appreciated! Disclaimer: I'm new to the Helix and this forum. Save me pls. 

Having just been super unhelpful in another thread, spouting wrong info about features I haven't used, I don't want to try to really answer you, since I haven't done this. That said, check the 'Snapshots > Command Center' section on page 36 of the Helix 2.0 Owner's Manual. (That page number is for the Rev D version.)

It specifically says:

Snapshots also store and recall the following MIDI, CV, and Ext Amp messages sent to external devices from the Command Center:
• The value of any Instant MIDI CC, Bank/Prog, MMC, and CV Out messages

...which sounds like it should be able to do what you want.

With the big caveat that I haven't worked with this feature, I'm not sure what Global Settings you're referring to, or why they'd be relevant. My understanding is that a snapshot can store and send a continuous controller msg, either a fixed value, or controlled by an expression pedal or Variax knob. Specifics about that are in the 'Command Center' section on page 45, referred to in the Snapshots section.

HTH.

EDIT: Everything in the above is for the floor version, my apologies, that's the info I have. I'd think that functionality should be the same, but as above, I shouldn't be talking about stuff I haven't actually done, and page numbers are probably wrong for the Rack manual.

And good luck on your trip! It may seem kind of daunting getting everything set up like you want it, but you have some time, and I bet you'll like it when it's all together. Helix makes a great controller, and a lot more.

Greetings!

To preface the below, I have searched high and low for a real answer for my issue. I hope that I am able to find what I'm looking for here!

Problem: I have 4 snapshots in Preset "001" that I am trying to integrate MIDI with to switch channels on my Carvin Legacy 3. 

Snapshot 1: "Clean" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #81 over Channel 1 (MIDI talk, of course)

Snapshot 2: "Crunch/Dry" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #82 over Channel 1

Snapshot 3: "Crunch/Wet" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #82 over Channel 1

Snapshot 4: "Lead" - I'd like the Helix to send CC #83 over Channel 1

CC parameters #84 and #85 control Legacy 3 boost and reverb functions respectively. I do not intend to use these at this time. 

I have tried going into the Global Settings and was successful in assigning CC #81-83 to my Helix Floor unit. I can find the toggles grayed out in "Stomp Mode" and can switch the amp channels in stomp mode. I CAN'T trigger the changes in Snapshot mode, however....I'm perplexed. Super perplexed. 

Can someone walk me through the steps that I need to take to set this up? I want to have this as a guide to take with me in the event something happens. I play in a band that travels internationally and due to time constraints, I'm basically freaking out inside. We are going from Michigan to New York and then on a cruise ship to Bermuda in literally less than 30 days now. Any assistance will be super appreciated! Disclaimer: I'm new to the Helix and this forum. Save me pls. 

You don't actually need to assign these CC Values to footswitches, unless you want to. To do what you want to do, go into the Command Center, select the little lightning bolt icon for an Instant Command, and the CC accordingly. You just have to set it for each snapshot. If you have the Snapshot Edit parameter set to "Recall", your changes will be saved as you make them. If you have it set to "Discard", you have to save the preset before going to the next snapshot. It's really that easy.

You don't actually need to assign these CC Values to footswitches, unless you want to. To do what you want to do, go into the Command Center, select the little lightning bolt icon for an Instant Command, and the CC accordingly. You just have to set it for each snapshot. If you have the Snapshot Edit parameter set to "Recall", your changes will be saved as you make them. If you have it set to "Discard", you have to save the preset before going to the next snapshot. It's really that easy.

Thank you! I was wondering what the lightning bolts were. I'll be sure to try this out when I get home this afternoon!  :)

And good luck on your trip! It may seem kind of daunting getting everything set up like you want it, but you have some time, and I bet you'll like it when it's all together. Helix makes a great controller, and a lot more.

Thank you!

I am so happy to have this thing. I was on the fence with another option but in terms of audio quality and user interface, there is nothing easier than Helix. I'm glad to be apart of the group!  B)

Best regards, 

JT

I should add that right now there's a bug (well, I think it's a bug, but in any case, it's a behavior that's not explained in the manual). If you have a CC Value assigned to a footswitch, you can actually assign a different value to that for each snapshot, and that value is shot out with each snapshot change. So that could be one reason why you're running into issues with having a CC assigned to a footswitch. You could actually use this to your advantage, I suppose, where it treats the CCs assigned to footswitch like Instant Commands, but it also might make it hard to keep track of what values are being used where. If you do want a MIDI CC Value footswitch that does the same thing in every snapshot, you just have to go and set the value to be the same for each snapshot.

To close, I had to call Carvin and Line 6. Carvin reassured me that I wasn't going nuts and Line 6 found that I was the first caller attempting to configure my rig with this issue. Though a user may set a CC message to send on, lets say, footswitch button 8...the Helix will only recall that CC message in Stomp Mode. If you have a Snapshot or Preset assigned to the same button, it still won't send. What I am gathering is that the Global Switch Setup isn't truly "Global" in some instances. I think that this is something that they were surprised to find by the sound of it, which makes me feel good as a user. I hope that this is something that gets put onto their fix-list someday because for me, this was almost a dealbreaker. Luckily, my Legacy 3 works as an awesome power amp and I am able to get some truly amazing and organic sounds out of these Helix preamps. I'm still satisfied. 

Thank you all!

Best regards, 

Jaime T. 

post-2441377-0-14331800-1473865523_thumb.png